1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Screw on bridge for the D string keeps loosening itself

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Oct 28, 2013.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    Where you can change the action. One of them loosens itself out every time I play my bass. It has no effect on the sound or anything. But it is irritating and not a good thing. Anyone know how to keep it from doing that?

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    If it's actually tight, "it shouldn't do that' i.e. - the tension should keep it in place.

But have a look at some of the products from Vibra-Tite. You wouldn't want an actual threadlocker, unless it was something very light-duty like Loctite Blue, but VibraTite makes 'goo' that's permanently viscous for exactly this kind (continuous vibration) of environment.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Blue loctite is the generally accepted product around here. The old school solution is a dab of fingernail polish on the threads.

4. That is all you need to know.

5. Yeah, and think of all the funky colors you get to choose from! :D

6. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    nail polish since 1973 on my first fender

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Hmmm, I s'pose we should give application tips. Don't get any goop in the allen socket! First, turn the screw in further, raising the saddle. Dab chosen adhesive on the threads under the saddle. Then wind the screw out, lowering the saddle, drawing the wet threads into the saddle.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Make sure the saddle is parallel to the body. Both screws should be under equal tension in that scenario and the screw shouldn't drop.