Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Screw up screws up bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Noah-Fecks, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    The problem:
    My poor POS MIM Fender P-Bass has seen better days. My anal-ness with a stupid electric buzz has driven me too far. The buzz started when i first removed the pickguard years ago to remove some of the wood dust that was powdering through occasionally.The sub-par modifications that I've made have screwed it up beyond the beyond.

The request:
    Can anyone help me out here?
    Anyone that helps will be helping me keep one the three things i love so deeply remain ok.

The setup:
    Anyone that has done their own wiring jobs on Fenders what wiring diagram did/do you use? Cause I have in my hand about 4 different setups from some of the same places different. I don't know if i need more grounds or what.

The specs:
    -1998 MIM Fender Precision Bass
    -Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder pickups
    -New Fender 250k full shaft knobs
    -Stew Mac copper shielding tape
    -Badass II Bridge
    -Warped Jazz Bass neck
    -Wires from the bass originally

The maybe usefull:
    -Had the pickups wired in professionally. Buzz didn't stop. They were wired like Fender's original p bass' in the 60's (one pickup tele style)
    -Recently installed the Stew Mac copper shielding tape [myself] and did a pretty decent job.
    -If needed I can tape pictures of this beast if it might help. :(

The end.

2. Pictures would be good. ;)

Can you solder? If you can't then take it to a tech and get them to reinstate it. If you can solder, then well we're cooking with gas so far.

my best bet would be to find a wiring diagram that is the most simplistic for the 4 you have. That way if it all works out fine no buzzing etc, you can then go to a more complicated diagram and because you have the "basic" it would only be a matter of re-arranging two or three wires, rather than jumping the deep end with a rock tied around your feet. Go to radio shack/dick smith electronics and buy some wire of the same grade as the older stuff in your bass. And colour code too!

Start from scratch and methodically. Look at the diagram and (like reading a book) start from left to right. If the volume pot comes first then so be it. mount the pot into its hole on the pick guard in the same orientation as on the diagram, look at the first wire and begin soldering. Take your time, and because you would've bought some new wire, give yourself a bit of excess for your cuts, then you can always trim later before you solder the other end. ;)

Sure you had it modded, but my gut feeling is to put it back to standard first and make sure all sounds ok. Once we get rid of the hum, then we can look at applying the mod again.

:D:D

Merls

3. This oughtta be easy - a P bass hasn't got enough guts to really put out a problem. The first (and simplest) thing is to make sure the bridge is grounded to the input jack. If you have a continuity (circuit) tester, try seeing if the negative side of the input jack and the bridge are connected. If it helps but doesn't totally work, then perhaps a "star" grounding system would help. This is where all of the components (pots, jacks, shielding, pups and bridge) are all grounded with a single center contact rather than in a series. This equalizes the length to ground and minimizes noise.
    Seymour Duncan pups (and a P at that!) are very quiet. Yours should be too.

4. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    all right I used my new digital camera so bear with me on these pictures.dumb bass
    Thanks. ugh...

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I also think you should gut the electronics, and start over. It would be much easier with color-coded wire, and it should be easy if you follow Hambone's directions.

I have yet to try star grounding, but it sure does make sense. I use tapewound strings, and it doesn't matter if the bridge is grounded. I'm never touching metal on the string.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe you should try switching the wires onthe output jack.

Peace
    Nick