Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

screw ups on stage...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, May 28, 2000.

1. has anyone here messed up badly during a gig? i dont mean like missing a note, i mean stuff like slipping and falling on stage. or you may fall off the stage (which ive seen happen (ouch)) well anyways this forum is deserted so id be surprised to see more than 3 replies.

------------------
    "Destruction can be beutiful" --Mankind

2. Bassmonster

Bassmonster

Mar 24, 2000
    You can find stories like this in another thread in this forum.

3. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    Many years ago(around 1970), when I was in high school, my band won a "Battle of the Bands" in Waterown, NY. The "big" prize was to be the "opening act" for (wince) "The Cuff Links" (a.k.a. "The Archies"). We did not have guitar tuners in those days & I asked our vocalist to "give me a G" on the Vox Continental (with a Leslie speaker cab)--He gave me a "C" (I think). I tuned to that (or so I thought)...Our first number was to be "Dance To The Music" by Sly & the Family Stone...(we also had 3 horn players in the band -horn bands were very popular in those days)...When I came "in" with my bass part -it sounded JUST AWFUL:O!! I could feel the blood rushing to my face...I quickly recovered by "finding" the correct notes elsewhere (?) on my beloved Hofner bass. The BEST PART--nobody in the audience (mostly teeny boppers anyway) seemed to notice [​IMG]

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I didnt screw up at the gig last night cos I didnt go. Whoops.

------------------
    Chris

5. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    This is one that I won't forget for a long time.
    Last night---between sets---I noticed a very lovely young lady sitting at a table towards the back of the bar. I leaned over to tell our singer to check out the " well endowed chick" at the back. ( of course, this wasn't the exact wording that I used) We then proceeded to make lewd and degrading comments about her. After a few seconds, I noticed that everyone in the bar was gawking at us as if they heard what we were saying. Well, they did hear us----because someone forgot to turn the mic off after the set was finished!!!!!!! This whole conversation was being piped thru the PA system!!!!!!!!
    After many apologies she still called us a couple of pigs!! Can you believe it? The nerve! LOL.

6. brewer

brewer

Mar 27, 2000
    that PA thing didnt happen to me at a gig, but it did happen at a shopping mall. I used to sell advertising for a newspaper, and me and the mall manager got along very well. the manager has a button in his office which allows him to call people over the mall's PA system.

One day we were sitting around chatting about all sorts of garbage, using the f word and the s word, talking about chicks and boobs, etc. well after a few minutes, he looked down and saw that the PA had been broadcasting our conversation throughout the entire mall.

i still laugh when i think about that.

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Way back when, I was so wrapped up in the bass lines for "Good Times, Bad Times" that I kinda forgot to play the solo section...just kept cruisin' right through the verses...didn't even realize it until the song was over, when the band just sorta stared at me in disbelief....say "What???"

8. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Did a gig one time where we used a smoke machine. Somehow the thing jammed up and wouldn't shut off. It was so thick I could barely see my fret board. Needless to say we all screwed up that time!

9. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Doug, you brought me flashbacks of the '70s with that smoke machine story! It reminded me of a job I played in the remote Wisconsin woods at a junior high school. This was a road gig, and the Catholic priest that ran the entertainment for the school was an electronics buff. He had this enormous custom built lighting system in this school, including a specially designed strobe light. It was something like 100,000 watts; it was about the size of a small light bulb, but (and I'm not exagerrating on this) it had enough power to light up the entire gymnasium, and I mean LIGHT UP the gym. After about 30 seconds, it was so bad that I had to stare at my fingerboard to keep from throwing up.

10. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    100,000 watts!! Makes me throw up just visualizing it.

"As he runs to hug the porcelain king"

11. Hehe,

Back when I had just picked up the bass, I went to go see a buddy of mine play at an open mike in Kittery, ME. This place was a real dive, and me just turning 21, I proceeded to get wasted very quickly.
    Well, after playing a set, my buddy tells me to go up and play a few songs with the guys. Having beer-balls, I jump at the chance.
    So, I go up on stage and say hi to the guys. They break into a Hendrix tune(can't remember which one! [​IMG]), and I put on my friends bass. I'm playing through the song, and all the guys on stage keep giving me odd looks here and there. I knew I was playing the right notes to the song, so I had no idea what was wrong.
    Finally, the song ended, and my buddy came up and asked me to come down from the stage.
    He pulled me aside and explained to me that through the whole song I was playing the parts where they should be... If I was playing a four string.

But his bass was a five... So I played the whole song thinking I was playing on the E string... When I was playing on the B.

Ugghhh..

Glad that's in the past.

------------------
    ...Must...Make...Calluses...Harder!!!

Alik likes this.
  12. The only really bad one was when we were playing at my high school. We have a really crappy stage, with old plwood for the floor. I was running across, and I stepped where I shouldnta oughta, and fell through an old plywood sheet into "Hell" (the term for underneith the stage) The cool part was that I had just recently gotten a wire-less set up and was using that. So I kept playing as I ran back up the stairs and onto the stage. Still hurt a lot though. The audience loved it.

Rock on
    Eric

------------------
    Do you know why the tape measure is so much better than you? You have what, six feet in you? IT has 25 feet in it. THAT'S why it's so much better than you.

13. DrHoondeh

DrHoondeh

Jul 6, 2000
    Acton, MA
    I was performing at a memorial festival for a kid who had died the year before. Well before the show were comparing our amps and "axes" with the other bands and we're messing around with the keyboard playing synthesized drum beats that are really dorky and some circus music etc. Anyways, some genious (me) left the keyboard on the synthesized drum beats. As we were doing a cover of Adam's song (which i wasn't to enthusiastic to play). One of the guitarists walks up to the keyboard to play the piano solo and lays out some phat drum beats on the keyboard. Actually the beats weren't cool at all, they sounded plain bad. [​IMG]

14. I went head first off a stage in Texas once... I landed face first on the very hard brick floor... I kept playing but it was damned embarassing! [​IMG]

15. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Couple of funny stories...

In high school I was playing cover tunes in a band for some cheesy popularity contest for the jocks. We were playing Walk this Way and I was getting a case of the serious dry throat. I'd seen the singer sipping from a Big Gulp on his side of the stage (gymnasium) so I worked my way over for a drink. I leaned over (while playing) and sucked on the straw...

Turns out he had been storing his chew spit (wintergreen, I think) there the whole time. Needless to say, I spit it out there on stage, but, completed the set.

Years later, in a BOTB contest, my band had the misfortune of playing last in a group of 6 bands. That meant taking the stage about 1:00am. No one wanted to listen to music, especially after 5 other bands, but people stuck around. Anyway, we're playing and I noticed that the guitar and I were out of tune. I yelled over at the guitarist, "HALF STEP OUT!!" He just glared at me. I proceeded to try to play my parts a half step higher, then retune between songs.

Stupid me, I had forgotten to stretch out my strings after changing them *right* before the show. Yuck.

*BTW, a little off topic... Is it me or are there a lot of youngsters on this board? Don't get me wrong, you guys are already studs for being here! I wish I had this kinda resource when I was a young, impressionable bassist-to-be.

16. beautyandthebass

beautyandthebass

Jun 16, 2000
    This was pretty humiliating...My first show ever at my Catholic junior high. I was 13...decided to wear my nice clean wool uniform. We were put up on pedestals, while the school dance troupe danced around the pedestals. First problem...my bass strap broke, and my solid maple Peavey T-40 fell and landed on one of the dancers. Then, after my bass was returned, my drummer's throne fell apart and he landed on his rear end. Lastly, some IDIOT decided to play with the sprinkler system, and my uniform was soaked, two mikes were wrecked, the guitarist was mildly electrocuted, and I wound up getting expelled for indecent exposure, and endangering the moral health of the school. The expulsion was pretty funny though. I think I'll invite the Reverend Mother and Father Francis to my excommunication!!!!

------------------
    "Make a scene tonight, and read about it in the morning"-Peter Cetera

anarchy sex + love
    Genya

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

One band I was in had a very sexy young lady for a singer. She fancied herself to be Janice Joplin, but at our debut concert we were doing covers of songs by Iron Maiden and the Beastie Boys and I forget what all. Well, anyway, before the gig we waited in a room and someone had left an entire case of beers which Little Miss Singer proceded to indulge in. I guess she was nervous, but the room was hot, so I went outside. Then our guitar player came and told me our singer was getting drunk. Then our drummer came and told me she was drinking too much. Anyway when we got on stage, things went well, until our singer fell flat on her buttsky! She was falling down drunk! We kept on playing and unbelievably, she kept on singing right there on her buttsky, but very much out of key. I decided not to get upset, because she was the one who was drunk and there was nothing we could do, but finish our set and get off that stage. I dropped out of that band after that. Jason Oldsted

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Lildrgn, there are lots of youngsters, like me! But im a not bassist-to-be...ive been playing a good solid 8 years now! So have lik everyone in my band, one member of which ill tell you about in a minute. So im a full player, not a trainee!

beautyandthebass...LMAO! Sorry, but thats funny as hell. What actually got exposed?!

As for the gig story, this wasnt me, but our drummer. Before we recruited him for the band (weve known him for a while), we went and watched him play in one of his other bands. (He was in a ton of them. He 14, and hes on about 25 CDs. He been a pro drummer for about 3 years...hes amazing). It was a punk band. Well, were sitting in the club, in some tables above the floor. As hes drumming (this was a year ago, maybe a little more), and he drums REALLY hard, he breaks a stick, which is common. BUT, the part of the stick he wasnt holding launched forward, and hit some chick in the butt. She screamed "OW! WHAT THE HELL?!" cuz she wasnt watching, got mad, and left. And, to add insult to (someone elses) injury, the drummer stabbed his tom with the broken part, ruining the head. Whoops. But he finished the song somehow. Seeing the thing from out perspective (from above) was pretty damn funny. Still cant figure out how it launched forward though.

19. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey Mega,

I see you're in Redmond; I'm in Bellevue and my band's based in Seattle. Sounds like you're quite the seasoned vet. What kind of music do you play and are you playing out? Kinda curious, that's all.

BTW, know any singers looking for a band?

lildrgn

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, we play lots of stuff. Its kind of heavy rock/**** hybridish type stuff. Havent played anywhere in a month or two, being that lead guitar and singer have been gone quite often. May not play another place for a while, being schools coming up (blah). So i think were taking the rest of the summer off, which i can handle. We play mostly places in woodinville and redmond, usually. Hey, next time we have a gig, ill email you. Might not be for a LONG time, (might get rid of drummer too, the one mentioned above, [​IMG] , so i dont know.), but ill for sure email you, if i can remember! I think next summer well be doing heavy gigging, so youll have a chance to see us then. Excuses excuses, eh? hehe. Where do you guys play?

And yes, we do play, in case the "kinda curious" was some smart a$$ remark! hehe. No, we do play. And no, i dont know any singers...especially in your age bracket. If i see any adds, ill tell you!

[This message has been edited by MegaAngus (edited July 27, 2000).]