Screwdriver size for pickup screws

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cmanner, Jan 6, 2020.

1. cmanner

cmanner

Oct 1, 2011
    What size screwdriver works best for pickup screws?

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Get any multi-bit scrwedriver set with the magnetic bits, and the "small" size will fit. The "Precision" driver sets made for eyeglasses and small parts are too small, but you can use the larger ones for tuner screws.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Different pickups have different screw head sizes. There isn't a "pickup screw" size.

4. cmanner

cmanner

Oct 1, 2011
    B9DFA833-5E3F-4819-B470-D1DCABDAC80F.jpeg

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Those are most likely #1 Phillips.

6. cmanner

cmanner

Oct 1, 2011
    I think this is a #4 wood screw. D257BFD0-2D26-4D0E-966D-2D49F882D84D.jpeg

7. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    And a #1 Phillips screwdriver should fit it perfectly.

cmcbass and Guzzi Toad like this.
  8. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Since most stuff comes from overseas, I've noticed my JIS screwdriver set works and fits best.

They don't round out and grip better because of the angle.

Look it up!

9. Most of the time a Phillips #1 (PH1) fits the screws on my Rickenbackers and Fenders best.
    Occasionally, as small as a Phillips #0 (PH0)
    Rarely as large as a Phillips #2 (PH2).
    A Phillips #2 is probably the most common Phillips screwdriver around the house but is usually a little to big for Luthierie work.

Likewise, its good to have a couple Pozidrive screwdrivers or bits available as well. Pozidrive are popular in European stuff. Here's a high quality Pozidrive #1 (PZ1):
    Wiha 31310 SoftFinish® Pozidriv® Screwdriver #1 Made in Germany | Wiha Tools USA

Here's an article explaining the difference between Phillips and Pozidrive:
    Phillips and Pozidriv cross-head screws – explained in simple terms – PB Swiss Tools

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Pilgrim and Beej like this.
  10. underwhelmist

underwhelmist

Nov 16, 2018
    UK
    it was life-changing when I bought some JIS screwdrivers. Every old Japanese bike and car I bought had knackered screw heads because previous owners had been using Phillips screwdrivers on them.

john m likes this.
  11. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Oh yeah, I agree about Japanese-made screws needing JIS series screwdrivers.

But the screws he's showing in the picture do appear to be American screws, made for a #1 Phillips screwdriver. Look at the little radiuses at the center of the cross. That's the Phillips design. Japanese and Reed & Prince screws don't have those radiuses; they have sharp corners.

12. cmanner

cmanner

Oct 1, 2011
    I appreciate the feedback! Thanks to everyone.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021