1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Screwed by Musicians' Friend?....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shadi, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    Perhaps I'm in the wrong forum, and if I am, mods feel free to move me to the appropriate spot....

I've been a customer of Musicians' Friend since 1996 and have never had any problems until this week. Monday, I placed an order online for a Mighty Mite bass neck that they said was in stock, and some other tidbits. I used my regular online account with my credit card and everything seemed to go through okay. I submitted the order and got the usual screen with the order number and notification that I would receive an email with an order confirmation and then later a shipping confirmation with tracking number....

....and then I get nothing. One day passes....two days pass by and then I get nervous....and by Wednesday, I contact customer service just to see if there was a 'stall' in the order or if it did not go through....I then got an "apology" email and notification that I would be getting order information and tracking number within a day....then NOTHING!!!

Today I contact customer service via email with all the incident numbers and such, and have yet to get a reply. Musicians' Friend has always been great to respond quickly, and I know we're getting close to the holidays, but I feel something fishy is going on here....

Has anyone else had any problems lately- or any similar issues? Am I just being overly paranoid?

Thanks,
    Shadi

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i understand your concern, but i think you are being a bit paranoid. since there's a record of everything that has transpired, you shouldn't have any problems getting your order resolved.

they've always been great for me, even when returning an item.

3. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Hardly screwed if your cc hasn't been charged, which should be the case when this happens. Is it a pain in the ass? Sure is!

It's happened to me a couple of times, but if you call to talk to a rep, they'll let you know what the score is.

I always call to speak to someone. MF 'human' help is very good and usually very helpful.

4. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    I know I am probably just being impatient...I was just hoping to slap the new neck on this weekend!!

5. dminer

dminer

Nov 26, 2007
    Well there's your problem, You were hoping to get the neck on this weekend! If you'd been too swamped with work or personal life it'd already be there ;)
    Just kidding of course, I'm the exact same way...when I order something I watch for the mail/ups truck like a hawk...Impatience, Impatience...MF will make good...Heck they even confirmed my purchase of the infamous $50 Ampaeg B2Re when mine arrived with the power light not working and I needed an order confirmation before the ampeg warranty techs would work on it :eek: The techs flipped when they saw the price on the order confirmation!! A good company in my book anyway.

6. I ordered something last week, and it took a couple of days for the confirmation email to show up. I called CS and they told me there was a 24 to 48 hour confirmation hold. I wasn't too upset since I didn't use my usual payment method. I received the item with no problems.

7. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Had a similar issue last week with an order. I placed online order and never got a comformation email or shipping info or anything, so I called them up and they apoligized and said they had some issues with the werehouse and the system. They gave me a $25 cedit for future purchase. I understand, they messed up, and they made up for it. Im happy and will continue to order from them.

8. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    this is kinda normal, re a short update delay. which neck did you order? i'm lovin' the fretless pbass neck i received (took around 3 business days for the order to show a shipping confirmation). a sweet neck for the price :)

9. I realize it's a small thing but indicative of MF's service, IMO.
    I had ordered Dunlop straplocks, when they came, there was a hole in the package and the mounting screws were missing. As you may or may not know Dunlop uses these smaller head phillips screw which are not all that easy to replace. I e-mailed them and asked if they would be kind enough to send me replacement screws, I would appreciate it. I got an e-mail response the same day saying they couldn't replace just the screws, so they were sending me a complete straplock kit, free of charge, which I had in a few days. That, as well as teriffic service every other time I had to deal with them has made me a customer for life. (or until they eff up real bad, whichever comes first.) ;)

10. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    Do you guys know if they have customer service reps I can talk to on Saturdays if I were to call tomorrow?

11. CSRs absolutely, but not likely the Supervisor you'd have to speak with to resolve your issue. Best to wait until Monday. As for Musician's Friend, like you I've been giving them my business since the early '90s (over the phone and mailing checks in, none of this "Internet" ;) ) and I've only had one serious issue (confusion on a custom-order bass that was placed during the move of their physical building & warehouse over the Summer of 2007) and a few minor ones out of several *hundred* orders. People are likely to talk about problems far more than good service, but I've received plenty in my almost 2 decades of ordering from them.

12. Call the tool-free #:
    800-776-5173

A company like this should have live reps 24/7.

BTW--30 years of dealing with MF = zero problems.
    Back then, I had to fill out an order form in pen, and enclose a (good) check in the envelope, then wait for the USPS and banks to do their thing. Sometimes took 3-4 weeks.
    It's SO much faster and easier now--y'all are spoiled.

13. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I would call them in person. I rarely will e-mail someone. I like person to person contact when dealing with issues.

On a side note, Musicians Friend did something very cool with me a few weeks ago. I bought a GK MB 115 combo bass amp. It normally is $400.00 on their site. A person had bought the amp and then returned it so they had 1 discounted down to I thing $340.00 if my memory serves me correctly. But it was still be sold as new so I bought it. I also had a 20% off coupon so with is, it knocked the price down to $280.00. When I received the amp, I really liked it but I was told it had the one input jack that would allow me to hook up another cab with this one. It didn't and I was kind of bummed. I called Musicians Friend and told them of the dilemma. The other cab that did have that option I believe was $200.00 more. Musicians Friend offered to sell me the other cab for $200.00 off. Originally I was going to do that and ship back this amp. Well, I have some projects coming up and didn't have time to ship the amp back and then wait for the other one so I called Musicians Friend back and they offered to take an additional $52.00 off of my current amp and still sell me the other amp for $200.00 off at any time at a later date. I took the deal and they noted my account about our agreement. So in the end, I ended up with a $400.00 amp for $228.00 and $200.00 off of the GK MB 210 on a future purchase. Musicians Friend really surprised me with their customer service towards me and needless to say, as a result, I will be buying from them again in the near future.

14. ChBaker801

ChBaker801

Nov 20, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Supervisor, Musician's Friend
    Shadi,

I work at Musician's Friend. I just shot you a message. I'm hoping to hear from you so we can track down what's happened here and see what we can do to make this right.

Sincerely,
    Chris Baker

15. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    ^^^

Good to hear.

16. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Hey Chris,

Since you work for MF, I also want to thank you for the customer service I received. You guys did way more than I expected.
    Thanks again!

17. Remember one thing, MF and Guitar Center are the same company, that alone should tell you something! I had a problem about a year ago, buying something only later to be told (and I had to call them!) it is no longer available - as I waited and waited. Good thing I called! They then offered me a 5% discount on my next purchase (after me fighting to get something). I went to use the 5% and guess what? Yep, no record of any discount. No longer a customer of Musicians "Friend". Everyone should have a Parkway Music in their town (my local fave). This local store outdoes GC poll after poll, year after year. I'm sure the suit and ties at GC are baffled

18. My condolences to you

19. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    First, I would like to say thanks to Chris for his willingness to help.

Prior to getting back onto TalkBass today (to respond to Chris' pm), I called Musicians' Friend's customer service department and talked to a representative. The person I talked to was kind, patient, and allowed me to explain my concern without interruption. Right away, she found my order, and admitted that there was a delay in the online notification system. She apologized for the trouble, told me that my items have indeed shipped, gave me the UPS tracking number, and asked me if there was anything else she could help me with.

Customer service does not get much better then that. I have always been satisfied with MF, and was concerned when this online order didn't go through as 'normal'.....but after today, and as long as my items come as they should, I'll continue to be a Musicians' Friend customer, getting the things I can't normally get at my local music store...OR if a deal is too good to pass up....

Cheers to everyone's help/suggestions/thoughts.....

Shadi

20. ChBaker801

ChBaker801

Nov 20, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Supervisor, Musician's Friend
    Jay & Shadi,
    That's great to hear! It's always great to hear about good customer service received from our staff here, and Shadi, sorry again for any concerns this has caused.

80'sRocker,
    I'm sorry to hear about the problems you had with a previous order with us. I agree that what you've described is terrible, but it's definitely not what's "to be expected" when dealing with us. Shoot me a message, I'd love to see if there's anything I can do to change your mind on our company. I promise you won't regret it.