Screwed on band audition/placement!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Aug 25, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well if anyone has noticed that I have been gone for like two weeks it is because I have been moving into and getting adjusted to college life.

So on Tuesday I auditioned for the Purdue Jazz Department. If you don't know, for a school with no formal music school, Purdue has a kickin' jazz band. I've really been looking forward to becoming a part of it. My audtion went really well and the director liked me alot. He e-mails me the next day and tells me that I made Band 114A which is the middle of 3 jazz bands. Here's the bad news. It is impossible to make the class fit in my schedule! So I got bumped to the lowest jazz band. :mad: It makes me so mad. I'm beyond pissed off right now.

Every time I see that band play the only thing I'm going be able to think about is how I am better than that guy, and that should be me up there playing. And I'm the type of player that gets really frustrated when I have to play with people below my level. And I put so much work into that audition and now it doesn't even matter.

I dunno what I'm lookin for from you guys, guess I'm just blowin off some steam.
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't understand why you should be mad at anyone. I want to take honors courses, but they're only available at main campus and there's no way I can commute there next semester and still handle the courses at the branch campus I'm at.

Sometimes the class you want to take isn't always going to fit into your schedule. Get use to it. I don't mean to be a jerk, but welcome to the sometimes more frustrating than not world of registering for classes.
  3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Have to agree with LiquidMidnight. I had a heck of a time getting all my classes in a sane order because I could only take evening classes and most semesters 2 classes that I wanted were at the exact same time.

Maybe next semester you can make sure your schedule is free for the mid-level jazz band. Make sure you shine this semester so they'll have no second thoughts about moving you up next semester.
  4. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    This isn't like I'm mad because I can't take the math class I want. This is a major part of my development as a musician, and my life. This could very well the only band I am a part of for the next year. I have put alot of work in to become the musician that I am, and now my placement is being judged by something other than that. I'm not mad at any person or any entity, it's just that the whole situation sucks.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is a well and good primer for real life, man. If you get pissed because people you can do better than are higher up than you; well, I wouldn't reccomend getting a job.
  6. If this band is such a priority, and it sounds like it is, why don't you try to move the other classes around to be able to fit it in? It's definitely not too late to change your schedule around, although you'll obviously be standing in line for a while to do it.
  7. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    That is not possible. ECET 107 which is required this semester for my major is only available in one time slot, the exact same time slot as this band.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    You should be happy you made it into a band and have the chance to play. If the begginer and the advanced class schedules had been inverted, you might not have been able to play at all. Besides, no piece of music is too easy. You get out of it what you put into it.

Cheer up. If you're much better than the others, you can be class ringer - lots of solo opportunities, if you're into that kind of thing...

Tell us how it goes.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you play it right, you could become known as one of the reasons the third jazz band sounds better than the second this year.
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    But that's going to happen, so get use to it. I once auditioned for a smoking three piece Blues/Classic Rock outfit. They're probaly one of the top bands in my area. The bass player was leaving for some reason, and the guys loved my playing. For some reason, the bass player wound up keeping the gig. There's another band that I had the chance to join that is now signed to Atlantic records, but circumstances beyond my control kept me from that gig.

Again, I'm not trying to be an ass, but that's part of the reality of being a musician. You're going to lose gigs because of reasons that have nothing to do with your abilities.
  11. Make the best of it and hopefully you can play in the higher level band next year
  12. pfft, bands are more important than classes, thats my theory, and has gotten me through the first 2 years of uni sofar
  13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Where are you studying?
  14. Dundee uni, biochemistry, just got my resit results back today, im going into 3rd year :)
  15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Small world. I studied there too. I wouldn't go skipping too many lectures in your third year :)
  16. haha, yeah, i dont plan to, i went to the majority of them in 1st year, then spent nearly all of second year playing pool or bass, went to 2 lectures a week tops, usually only 1

which resulted in me having to resit half the course, but, i guess that went alright

where about you at these days
  17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, basically, you are saying that your chosen major coursework is more important than your music--otherwise, music would be your major. That's a perfectly fine way to think while in college, but that's why they are called sacrifices and priorities.

Welcome to growing up!

Oh, and BTW--thinking of the band you are in as "playing with people beneath you" is a good way to be well on your way to being thought of as a d!ck. Music is subjective, so just because you scored higher on an audition doesn't mean you are a better musician. The sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be. Besides--what makes you think the other people in the band aren't only there because of their schedule conflicts? God out to get you? Instead of seething about the band you aren't in, why not be happy with the one you are in, and make the best of it. Otherwise, do everyone else involved a favor, and quit.

Sounds like you have some more growing up to do.
  18. good call, why not make do with what you do? and try and help get the "worse" band up to being better than the one you were going to be in?

either that or drop your major course and change it to something else and stop complaining :p
  19. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas

.............. and maybe help some players to a higher level, just because you were there.

I've got the opposite perspective, I'm the LEAST talented person in my band but I'm learning tons. If it weren't for them I'd be learning scales and practicing once a month. No matter where my bass playing takes me in the future I will always be grateful to them for helping me.

Earn some gratitude by having a good attitude! :D

20. lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    dude, i know how you you feel. it happens to all every now and then. chalk this one up as a learning experience. if you really want to play and your playing is at a ("higher level") than other players in your group, help out a little. one thing i allways do in that situation is work really hard with the drummer and establish a solid foundation. this can also give you time to woodshed so next time you audition for band your skills will be even better. we all have someone that is better that is around us when we`re playing, maybe your that guy this time? just be humble. this too will pass.