Screwed over

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JAL, Jul 25, 2005.

1. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Ok. So my band and two others agreed to do an August 4th outdoor set a couple of months ago during a city music-fest. Its pretty big, and a blast. The two other bands needed a bassist, so ive stepped up, learned their stuff and practiced with them nonstop. My band's lead singer, when we were notified about the gig, said she could do it. Two weeks ago, she calls me and says she cant. I was sympathetic, but she has pulled this stuff before and always, no matter what is said, makes it to the gig.
    A couple of days later she calls me and says she can do it, and weve been rehearsing since.
    All was well until today, when I get a call from my guitarist telling me she just backed out of the band completely. I call her, and verify. So now im left with 1.5 weeks to find a singer and teach her my bands set. Nothing like being screwed over, eh?
    Im posting this for misguided sympathy, suggestions on how to handle THIS situation, and in the future.
  2. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    attempt to book another band in your place , but NOT play with them too :D
  3. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yea, we have a couple groups lined up. I guess im just dissapointed I cant play my set as well :-(
  4. Sounds like she was pretty flakey. Is there any way you can get her to come back and just do this one show, since she had agreed to it previously?

If that doesn't work, try and find a fill-in for the show. Maybe you know another band whose singer is willing to do the show with you guys? You could make them a CD or tape containing your songs, and have them listen to it as much as possible, with one or two rehearsals before the show. They can always use "cheat sheets" during the show to help them with the words, too. There are ways to work around this.
  5. Can anyone else in the band sing? At least you guys know the stuff. Maybe the drummer or guitarist or even you could fill in vocally for this show.

You won't have to be outrageously good, as long as you can carry a tune...

Good luck
  6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Trust me, learning a set in 1.5 weeks is nothing. I just learned 30 songs on bass in 44 hours for a show I had on sat. Just find someone you know that can sing, and practice practice practice, and it'll all be good. Of all members to loose, it's been my expirence that once you find the singer, they fall right into place after a couple of jams. Hope all goes well though.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I kinda had this problem. Me and 3 friends just startet a quartet a while ago, and then got a gig offer pretty much a few days later. The gig was in august, but the exact date seemed to be unknown. I'm going on a 4 week trip to Israel before school starts on august 29th. When I heard that the gig is in august, I told my friends that they'd probably have to find another bassist since I won't be here for most of august. When one of the band members found out that the exact date of the gig is actually august 31st, he did not tell any of us for some strange reason. The rest of us only found out a while ago that it is on august 31st, and that I will be in town for the gig, it was too late, there was already a temorary bassist filling in for me. Now what's happening is that I have to share the gig with that bassist because he has already put time into this and it's too late to release him. I guess it's ok, he will be playing some of his and the guitarists own original songs with the band for half the time. The songs that I'm playing don't need too much orchastrating or practice since they are pretty much jazz standards. In the end, it actually seems to be a good thing; the one of us which is not currently playing will be there for misc. problem solving and picture taking.