Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Screwed up my SR...now I need your help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, the other day I decided to paint my Ibanez SR a silvery color. Needless to say, it turned out great. BUT, when I put everything back together, it didn't work. The only wires I cut were the three that go to the jack (Two black, one yellow) and the two going to the pickups themselves (I was to lazy to unsolder them when I took them out, and there was more than enough wire to run it again). So, I put it all back together and loandbehold, my front pickup doesn't have much output. It has SOME, but the rear one is roughly 2-3 times louder. When I turn the volume (for the front pup, it has vols for each) to what I assume open (I could have it reveresed from when I put it back in) it kills the signal completly, and when I turn the back one open. it does what it's susposed to. I have an SR305DX, so if anyone can help, or point me to where I can find a wiring schematic, that'd be GREAT!
    Thanks all!
    Ray

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    bump... I'm trying to help on AIM, but I'm an idiot :meh:

Come on, he needs to :bassist:

:D thanks for the kickin' new smilies Paul :D

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah, thanks James...
    The wiring diagram @ the iabnez site isn't doing me crap for noodles...help!

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ya know what, this sounds just fine...I kinda like it, and it grows on me more and more...but if you know how to fix it, e-mail me. Thanks though!
    Ray:bassist:

5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I would check all of the connections again. You said you only snipped 3 wires by the jack, but it sounds like the problem might be elswhere since you are acutually getting some sound out. You might make sure your ground wires are all connected too. Grounding can do wierd things. I don't imagine your pots or pickups are fried, it is probably a loose connection. You may bave bumped a solder and it is loose. I am not wiring expert, but that is always a good first step.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Checked, double-checked and triple-checked...no loose wires. Grounds are all good...all solders look good ( I even redid a few) I dunno:bawl:
    Ray

7. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Ray, I have a 305DX.
    Did you get my e-mail?

8. Ya know, those wires are small, and the iron is hot. It is very easy to overheat the wires on the resolder and melt the contacts on the pickups. If I remember right those have actives, you can also make a cold joint on the circut board just by overheating the wires.

You may want to take it to a guitar shop and have it checked out.