Screwless pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pat5s, Sep 20, 2016.

1. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    So i'm just in my normal day and it just pop to me.

How about having magnetic pickguard? Buy some very thin neodymium magnet in pair (2mm for diameter x1mm) and make some hole in your bass (probably in the unfinished one) with 2mm diameter x1mm depth.

Then make the hole again in the pickguard for about the same size in a matching place.

However this is just a thought of my self and i have never made this. But maybe i will in future.

Please leave your comment!

2. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    My original idea is to put the magnet behind the finishing layer so maybe it will become a mess.

The second is i think 2mm x 1mm is too small, i'm just giving example. Maybe 4*1 will work. Well it's personal to use which magnets.

Thanks!

3. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    But until now i don't know how neo magnets are gonna affect the pickup or something about it?

We need more pro to answer this.

4. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    Maybe ferrite or lower N value neo magnets will do the work? Behind the finishing? I can't answer that. lol.

Just an opinion...

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    It's been done with interchangeable fingerboard and control cavity covers.

Why are we removing the pickguard?

Riis

6. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    For the bass with battery inside the pickguard, it will be super easy to change the 9v.

And maybe for different occasion you can change your pickguard.

Edit : And maybe for showoff too...

7. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I think part of the issue lies in the fact that all but the smallest of pickguards are warped to some degree. The number of screws used to affix a pickguard has more to do with pulling it flat against the body than anything else. To achieve the amount of force needed to pull a warped pickguard flat you would need some very, very strong magnets in all the same locations as the screws and possibly more.

8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It's pretty common to do that with rear covers, for that reason.
    To make it work you'd need to counter sink the whole pickguard so it didn't slide around. The magnets will hold it from falling off, but it would go side-to-side very easily.
    You'd also need to leave a hole somewhere to be able to pry it up with your finger. And not have any of the pots or pickups connected to the pickguard.

9. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    That's sadly reality man.

Thanks!

10. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah i'm currently build with magnet rear cover preamp cavity.

You also right dude. Thanks!

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Flush mount the magnets to the back of the guard with some really good epoxy then drill holes in the bass deep enough to accept both the bass magnets and the guard magnets and allow the guard to lay flat against the body. This would attach the guard and also keep it from sliding around.

I've seen this done with hatch covers on flying model airplanes.

pat5s and Gilmourisgod like this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    This all sounds like a solution looking for a problem, but fhm555's idea would clearly work. Don't underestimate how strong these rare earth magnets are, some would exceed your ability to pry them apart by hand.

pat5s likes this.
  13. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm actually don't know how many force will be happening, i guess it will come down to N grade.

Maybe i'll try it in my next project to see if it's possible...

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021