Screws too short for Dimarzio bridge pickup on Tony Franklin fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bobyoung53, Apr 28, 2017.

1. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

The title pretty much says it all. I bought a new Tony Franklin fretless about 6 months ago and like always I tinker with basses when I get them to set them up exactly like I want them. I tried to change the height on the bridge pickup and it seemed very stiff and wouldn't really budge either way so i thought that because it has adjustable pole pieces that there was no height adjustment for this pickup. One of the screws was stripped though so the other day I pulled the strings off and pulled the pickup out. Surpisingly the pickup is height adjustable just that it's at least a 1/4" deeper than a regular J pickup and hence had been screwed down so tight at the factory that it wouldn't budge and stripped a screw hole. It has stock 1-1/4" pickup screws which are not long enough for this pickup. I want to raise the pickup and can't do it, I run out of thread and the screws pull right out, so right now I have one screw in it with some newspaper under it as a compromise. I am looking for some #4, 1-1/2" pickup screws but they seem to be unobtanium at this point. Has anyone else had this problem with one of these basses? I love the bass although I am going to have the neck redone soon due to buzzes at certain points with new flatwound strings which is kind of strange as it didn't buzz with the stock round wounds.

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022