1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scroll break – any ideas?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Tbeers, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I was away this summer for about two months. I left my bass at home while I was gone, and tuned it down about a half step before leaving.

The instrument is a 2003 bass from Arnold Schnitzer and Wil De Sola... one of their "S&D" basses. I've never had an issue with it before.

When I got back a few days ago, I was pleased to see that the strings were on the same pitch I left them back at the end of June. Made me think nothing too dramatic had happened to the instrument while I was gone.... I played at church with the bass on Sunday and had no problems.

Then tonight I took it out of the case again and saw this (2 photos attached). Any idea what causes this kind of problem? Is the scroll shot at this point? Potential cost of repair? Obviously I'll take the bass to Arnold and have it fixed. I just can't see how this possibly happened, and figured I'd ask here.

Thanks,
    Theo

Attached Files:

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Looks like it took a hit. Fell down maybe? Banged on a door frame?

It's fixable.

Arnold will do you right. Dunno about the $. Pay him whatever he wants. It's worth it and it will be right.

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I guess anything's possible....

Problem is I have an audition next week. Would it be worth angling for a loaner bass while mine is in the shop?

4. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Yikes. :eek: So who did it? Have you found someone to blame it on? :meh:

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Theo, man, that looks terrible.

But I've said it before and it applies again: It's best by far to contact the maker before posting it for all the world to see. I bet Arnold makes it VANISH.

Good luck and post pics of the end result please!

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've owned the bass for five years and haven't had so much as a split seam in that entire time. Whatever happened to my instrument, I don't think the maker could possibly be at fault.

The whole thing's just a bit upsetting... I try unbelievably hard to take good care of the instrument.

7. Sure looks like the back, top left side of the scroll took a shot. If you have cats like I do, shoot both of 'em. All they'll do is blame each other and you'll never get the truth from 'em. They are terrible liars you know. They probably got the dog to stand it back up. All foolishness aside, get thee to Arnold! Damn shame of a thing to happen to such a beautiful piece of work. Arnold and his magicians will make it as new.
    Jim

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Sucks dude.

Don't have a backup? Tough way to learn about needing one. I have always had a backup for just this kind of problem--or a gig I can't take my A bass to.

Rent, borrow etc. I wouldn't put that on Arnold. He's gonna be much happier to deal with your instrument rather than your commitments. It's worth asking if he has something you can rent for sure but I wouldn't expect it or press it. In the end your gigs/obligations are your responsibility.

He's gonna have that for awhile I'd guess. You'll need to arrange a fairly lengthy rent/loan. You live in the best place to get something else to play. I swear you can throw a rock from there and hit a DB compared to most places on the planet.

Rent a Shen for the long haul? Borrow a friends nice bass for the Audition? I dunno. Try to lease from Gage? Kolstien? Ken Smith maybe?

Sucks man...sorry for the stress.

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Blame it on your sister. She's a klutz.

10. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Haha... thanks for all the replies. I'll leave the bass with Arnold and try not to think about it! Already found another axe for the meantime, I think. (Turns out one of my friends is spending the fall semester abroad, and asked me to look after a bass for her.)

11. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Funny you mention that. I haven't even seen another DB around town besides my own in years. I constantly get asked/jeered about my "oboe". :rollno:

12. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Is the wood at the back of the pegbox really as thin as it looks in the photo? :confused:

That's a beautiful bass, I hope it's repaired soon.

13. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I agree with Phil. From looking at your pix and having had some experience with busted basses, it seems to me it must have taken a severe blow, most likely to the back side of the top of the scroll. I can't think of anything else that would cause a break like that.

14. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well it looks like the bass will be spending a few months living the easy life in Arnold's shop. No gigging, no travel... an (extraordinarily) well-paid vacation for my instrument, including an extensive makeover!

Needs a new neck... the whole thing. Thank God for the insurance policy, high deductible though it may be!

The bass may have taken a little hit at some point, cracked a tiny bit, and then the string tension pulled the whole thing apart gradually. Thanks for all the support, TBDB'ers.

15. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Best of luck to ya-in my short time dealing with Arnold, he has shown himself to be someone who will not let a bass out the door if it's not right.

16. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, Arnold's gonna take care of it. It goes without saying that his work is of the absolute highest quality.

17. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I should be getting my bass back within a week or so – will let you all know how things turn out, and maybe put up some "after" photos.
    :)

18. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I agree that it "took a hit". That doesn't happen to a bass that's just been sitting in the corner.

Good luck.

19. Yikes; spontaneous bass implosion... :eyebrow:

Blame the dog; odds are that's what the rest of your family will do and you can't really hold it against him!

20. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    :) Ha ha ha, blame the dog! For sure, post before & after pics.

BassDogs3.