scroll headstocks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cpak82, Mar 31, 2005.

1. cpak82

Dec 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Colin Kennedy
    I was just wondering. I'm making a neck-through semihollow bass (!) with the neck based on my very thin '75 Jazz bass and a body based on the rickenbacker 600 series guitars, but with an f-hole. I was getting bored with the fender headstock design, however. I saw Bruce Johnson's Ampeg Horizontal Bass reissues and got intrigued by the idea of an open headstock with side-mounted tuners. I was wondering if anyone here had ever done this before. I want the head to angle back (probably 10-13deg) and to have as straight a string pull as possible. could you use standard schaller tuners sidemounted? are there any huge design considerations that I should take into account?

2. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    I have an idea (it might not work, though): use upright bass tuners. They are obviously meant for being mounted on the side of the headstock, and I believe the tilt is about ten or so degrees. Drawbacks? It might not be the solution, and those things be expensive ($90).
  3. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    is that 90 bucks EACH??
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yes, you could. You need to check the fastening, though, to make sure you can access the gear with proper tools.
    Sweagle use some super-simple plastic tuners, with superb result. I mean, that shows you can choose more or less whatever tuner...
  5. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    No. This is $90 a set, which is still not cheap.