Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

scrooge's 5 string??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tjad01, Feb 27, 2002.

1. hi all,

i have a question that nobody has been able to satisfactorily answer yet...

is it possible to buy a set of 5 strings and stick the B, E, A and D strings on a 4 string bass? will it kill the intonation (as a mate reckons) or will it work?

basically i am too much of a scrooge to actually go and spend a thousand bucks on a 5 string instrument when i can spend fifty for a similar result...

thanks in advance,
    tim

2. if you look around there been so many post about this.

3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Actually, this will work fine if you do a proper setup to accomodate the larger strings. This will include cutting the nut and adjusting intonation for the larger strings. Also, no more G string! This is obvious but you may be surprised how much you use it, especially once it's gone. I'm going to assume the pickups will be fine. I don't know if there are pickups made specifically for the lower tuning. Good luck!

4. mmm, i figured there would be, but my half an hour of searching didn't turn up any of them and doing a search by keyword didn't like me using "5" as a word, alas.

i will continue looking perhaps. :(

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Try 'BEAD' or 'B-E-A-D'... Yeah, others have done it with some success, like rsautrey stated. I do know that bgavin is considering stringing his MIM P-Bass this way

-robert