Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SCT-CL tube wear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ubernaut, Jan 9, 2005.

1. ubernaut

ubernaut

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Got my first SVT-CL several months ago. I was just wondering what puts more wear on the tubes: cranking the master, or gain control? Also, which control gives the best sounding volume boost when cranked. Thoughts?.....................

2. Neither. Contrary to some misconceptions, tubes are capable of lasting many many years. Don't worry about "tube wear".

3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    For the power tubes, there is no difference whatsoever. The voltages applied will be the same regardless of gain structure. As Bill said, don't concern yourself with tube wear when choosing your settings. An efficient, good sounding speaker set up will make your tubes last by not hammering the tubes, although with an SVT, this isn't an issue unless you are insane or deaf.

For an audible illustration of the effects of gain structure, do this-

Crank the master volume, then open up the pre gain until you are playing at your usual level. Your sound will probably be pretty clean.

Turn down the master volume all the way, then crank the pre gain. Open up the master volume until you are at your usual level. Considerably more distortion and grunge, yes?

Settings in between these two options will yield results that are very versatile.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I would agree with what Ben Clarke said.

In general, louder is harder on the power amp tubes, but unless you are seriously overdriving them, it won't be any big hit on tube life.

Besides, you got it to play, right? Tubes are just part of the tool you use. Get your money's worth, and don't worry that much.

Tubes, particularly power tubes, are basically a "consumable", they DO wear out.....even if they do it much slower than many of us manufacturers are willing to say.......and eventually you will need to replace them.

Hopefully, most of the bars won't stiff you and you will have been paid much more than the cost of a set of tubes by the time you need them..........!

5. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Jerrold, good point regarding the viewpoint of tubes as "consumeables". I try to think of them in the same category as strings and guitar players... just part of the cost of doing business. If you work at Sea World, you're gonna go through some water...

So you work for Ampeg & you're biased- I assume you're biased just a little hot?

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Usually only for salsa and hunan............