Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sculpture...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by olivier, Oct 22, 2003.

1. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Turns out I'm married to sculptor Rosa Puente, she did this study a few years ago...

2. Hey, Ollie
    Nice sculpture indeed. If I wasn´t told that is a double bassist, and told it´s a dwarf hiding behind a big bottle, I would have bought it.
    Makes the thing more interesting, though. That´s what Art is supposed to be.

R2

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    ...: open to diverse interpretations ;)

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Beautiful...thanks for sharing!

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Nice piece! I guess that's on a whole different level than the wire-and-nut ones you see everywhere. ;) That's great when one artform inspires another, and I think she captured the bass vibe very well. Were you the model for this one?

6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Agreed! Is good! What's the medium? and the asking price!;)

7. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    This is a patina-treated (shoe shine) plaster cast of the actual clay study. From this up to eight bronze casts may be obtained, # 1/8 to 8/8.

Ah Jefiejeff, for you it's going to be very sweet: just send one of your average bass to me and I'll return the coffin with a bronze masterpiece neately packed in it ! Just kidding. The foundery ask the price of a Palatino to cast something like that.

Yes, JohnChris, it's definitely more inspired than the usual music related artifacs such as those I saw on Royal in New Orleans, last spring. Beware though that if you hold this kind of speach in public you'll be automatically categorized as a snob, especially if you mentionned earlier that your preference for jazz or classical music (bluegrass is cool).

Anyway, many thanks on her behalf for the kind words. She deserves encouragements... and more customers !

8. Is it for sale? If so, how much? What is the size of the sculpture?

9. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The pictured plaster study is not for sale per se, but the same in bronze can be ordered. It's about 12 inches tall. I don't have an exact price for it right now, it depends on the foundery. If you are seriously interested send me a PM and we'll get a quote.

10. Tell your wife that I really enjoyed her work!
    But what I really love is your post! (Quote}
    It's as if you had no idea she was a sculptor!
    Great, man!

11. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Depending on the angle, a lot of things turn out to be the way they are, just like that. Rosa evolved that way and although she certainly had a taste for visual art when we first met, she was not yet a sculptor. You'll appreciate that there is a significant amount of self teaching in her evolution, a personal determination to embrace a discipline.

Thanks for the good word, Paulo.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, that's beautiful. thank you for sharing.

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Wow JT himself expressing his appreciation ! Thanks !