Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SCUMBAG ALERT!!! in Upstate NY

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mcguin, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcguin

mcguin

Aug 6, 2001
    de islands mon
    hi all
    Well it finally happened to me!
    I replied to an ad on one of the other bass boards for a Gallien Krueger MB200. I emailed the guy asking if everything worked - he replied yes - I agreed to send a money order to his address and asked for priority mail shipping - a fair bit of communication in the process, so everything seems fine. - the package gets here and...... it’s not an MB200 - it's the little GK extension cab about the same size as the MB200 (MPX112)- I email the guy and he says 'if you don't want it relist" - after a couple of non threatening emails explaining that he has misrepresented something - his position is unchanged "too bad he did not know what something was - it is my problem -
    Oh yeah - his asking price was what a new GK ext.cab. costs at GC. - (not that that should have tipped me - the last GK MB I bought was less than his)
    So...here we go... I filed a claim with the Post Office for Mail Fraud - they told me that they will start an investigation when they get the forms back - and I will email all of his ebay bidders and mention this and I will put this post on all of the bass and gear boards.
    His name is -

His ebay user is - upstate_n.y.er

Any other ideas?
    Thanks guys
    and beware!
    Dan

2. Push as hard as you can.

In the end, you are f*cked.

I had an eBay seller intentionally burn me on a subwoofer. I chase his weenie butt through the Texas Consumer Fraud, Post Office, eBay, etc etc etc.

Zero.

He gave me the finger and stole my money. He did a switcheroo on the sub and sent me an obsolete model instead of what he advertised.

His name is Jason Schoder
    5602 48th st
    Apt 108
    Lubbock, TX 79414

3. Like i said before.. Ebay bad !

Actually i DID buy some stuff of Dutch Ebay some times... but i went and picked it up myself.. i don't trust postal services..

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Sorry that that had to happen-
    I'm really leery about buying from individuals over the 'net, especially gear- You have to inspect and/or play it to know.
    I've made some minor buys from E-Bay w/out a problem, & got a nice old gigbag from BassGear.com.
    Too bad a few ***@@@"s ruin it for everyone.
    I think that E-Bay should be more stringent with their sellers- I think that all they "insure" for is $100.
    Unfortunately, dealing with Govt. agencies to try & recoup losses is slow, frustrating, & may be futile.
    Kinda makes one appreciate the Wild West, i.e.
    "Get a Rope!"

Anyway-could be worse, & think of Karma-
    especially with musical gear! This guy is bound to have a head-on with a semi-truck sooner or later, or wait...is that lightning????;)

5. I like the concept of the Class Action Beating, myself.

:D

This is where a whole bunch of dudes show up at the jerks' place and everybody takes a turn at him until learning takes place.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Warning: do NOT attempt to contact the bidders in his auctions! That will put you in direct violation of your eBay users agreement, and they (eBay) won't lift a finger to help you after that.

Instead, report the lying moron to Safe Harbor and let eBay do its thing.

7. eBay does nothing that is effective.
    After the 90 day waiting period, the complaint is closed out, and I was never able to collect the insurance (minus the deductible).

eBay is useless for frauds.

They get paid no matter what, and that is all they care about. Until such time as it affects their revenues (never) they won't do more than pay lip service to the problem.

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The simple solution to that is, don't buy anything off of eBay -- don't even search their site! That's exactly what I do when I am not happy with a particular store's service or policies -- boycott them and tell your story to everyone that will listen! In the long run, I doubt they will even care, but at least I know that they're not able to rip me off anymore!

PS...Sorry 'bout your bad luck, mcguin! I think posting on these forums is the right thing for you to do!

9. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Now wait a minute. The problem that started this thread has nothing to do with eBay. I have purchased my Taylor acoustic and my 88-key controller off of eBay and got great deals on both of them. The deal with eBay is that you should find out as much as possible before bidding and don't bid for someone who you don't trust.

I am much more insecure with other internet transactions and have heard multiple stories of buyers and sellers getting ripped off.

Since I don't have the money to buy the bass I want new, I will likely buy my next one off eBay as well, but only from someone who's feedback is sufficiently positive.

Rich

10. I have also purchased a lot of things over ebay and have never had a problem. Make sure that the seller is legitimate before you buy. You should know enough about the product beforehand, and look at the sellers feedback. These two things should make it impossible to get ripped off.

If someone gets ripped of on a phone scam it doesn't mean I am going to stop using the phone. I am going to use my head when I pick it up.

Geoff

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    USA Spector NS-5
    Sadowsky 24 fret 5 in Sunburst
    G&L ASAT
    G&L L-5500

I've sold many basses on ebay:
    Sadowsky 24 fret 5 in sunburst
    G&L ASAT
    G&L L-5500 (2 of them)
    G&L L-2500 (2 of them)
    Spector Rex 2000/4
    Spector NS-4's & 5's (Multiple of each)
    Spector USA NS-4
    MAny Fenders, Warmoth's & guitars.

So far, I haven't been beat. Once a guy didn't pay. Personally, I like to buy by COD. If a seller has really good feedback & has sold alot of guitars in the past 3-4 months I'll pay by payPal of COD. It's not eBay that's bad, It's the minority of LOWLIFE'S that frequent it.

Sorry to hear you got burned. :(

I Just re-read the original post & he didn't buy it off of ebay.

12. mcguin

mcguin

Aug 6, 2001
    de islands mon
    GUYS - hold on - this has nothing to do with ebay - the guy posted on one of the bass boards that we all watch - i wish it had of been ebay - at lease Safe Harbor would have been an option -
    It's intersting though that some boards have a problem with letting it's members know about frauds posting on their boards - pmail and i'll let you know who.
    Thanks for the support - you know it's really not the money! - after a crazy amount of transactions (buy or sell) in the past year, this is the only problem i have encountered - virtually everyone in our "fold" has been great to deal with. This will not stop me from doing ebusines, but i will insist on talking with anyone directly for any purchase over a couple of hundred dollars - at least then i can have some idea of who i am dealing with, and have a phone number that can lead to a physical address if need be.
    thanks again guys
    dan

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Man, that sucks.:mad:

Wrong forum, too. Off to Misc.

14. My friend got burned on a 1970 Chevelle on ebay "there is no rust on this car" and of course, when he got it, it was full of rust. He resold it, and told the mechanic that bought it that it had rust, he lost $4000.

He had the sellers IP address, and he is handy with a computer...very handy.

Let's just say that the seller's last 3 computers have fryed. My friend won't stop until he find it necesary, he plans to inflict double the $$$ that he paid.

Its all working in the end though, he got a 2001 Expedition that his parents bought him :D

15. zacsmith

zacsmith

Jul 20, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    For high-dollar online purchases, you might want to try one of the escrow services. You send the money to them, which they hold in reserve until you receive, inspect, and accept the thing you want to buy. Then they send to money on to the seller.

I tend to buy things close enough to where I live to go pick them up (I'm not above driving a couple of hours — I'm in the car half the day anyway), so I have not used any of these services. But I know a couple of people who have used them and swear by them.

16. abearcarver

abearcarver

Mar 31, 2009
    LET IT BE KNOWN !

The man who started this thread is not telling the truth.
    This thread was started when this person was angry over his
    own ignorance. The item in question sold to this person was
    exactly as described and delivered in a timely manor. This buyer
    was given pictures of the exact item and ser#s as I the seller was
    not certain of the exact model. The buyer grabbed this item up with
    expectation it was something that it was not. It was sold as an AS/IS
    sale because the shipping distance was so vast it was not worth
    the cost of shipping both ways. The item was NOT an extension cab
    and was indeed an amp.

I find this post as defamation of character and Is`illegal.
    I also find this post one sided, unfair, rude and sneaky.
    I also feel this forum should not allow such conduct and also not
    allow someone to place personal contact information of another.

In law, defamation (also called calumny, libel, slander, and vilification) is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image. It is often, but not always, a requirement that this claim be false, and, or alternatively, that the publication is made to someone other than the person defamed.

Aaron C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.