1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SD 1/4 Pounders vs. Fender '62 P-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassMan250, Jun 8, 2007.

1. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I play a hotrodded P-bass that has a 1/4 Pounder installed in it, and although it does what a 1/4 Pounder is supposed to do I find it a little too bright and harsh, I get the feeling it only works for rock. Since I play all styles (fusion instrumental group), I'm looking for a pickup that gives me a more vintage tone- warmer but with plenty of clarity, and capable of cutting through the mix if necessary. I looked at the original '62 P-bass pickup on MusiciansFriend, and it got good reviews, but I think I need some more feedback on it to see if it's really worth it. I was also looking at SD Antiquity pickups on Warmoth and they look good too. What do you guys think?

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The 62 P pickup is very good But even better is the Nordstrand NP-4 It has the vintage P sound but is a little hotter outout and goes deeper and somewhat more defined without losing that vintage vibe. I would go for the Nordstrand if you don't mind spending the money to get the tone.

3. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    Personally, I use the 1/4 pounder in my P-Bass, but I play rock. My good friend who plays in a New Orleans funk trio (Gradoux) is a real vintage Fender type of guy. He loves the SD Antiquity series pickups. I've played his basses and they really do deliver that vintage vibe (sound so good with a little overdrive too). I bet you'd be pleased with them. No experience with the Nordy, just heard good things.

4. Baleen

Baleen

Nov 8, 2006
    Philadelphia
    I put SD SPB-1 vintage pickups in a P bass, and I'm really happy with them. I bought the bass with SPB-3 (Quarter Pounders) but also found them too harsh and unfocused. The SPB-1's are quieter, but they're clear and still punchy. I also like them everywhere from full-on bright tone to rolled-off dark.

5. I went the same way. I got a P with QP installed, and didn't particularly care for the sound. I pulled the QB and replaced with vintage SPB-1. The bass is in the process of being defreeted, and is intended to imitate an upright, thumpy tone with an ancient set of TI Flats.

6. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia

How do you think the Antiquity pups compare with those on the latest MIA P, the one with the S1 switching?

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Try the SD Hot P - SPB-2. Nice big bottom, smooth top, and prominent mids to help you cut though.

JR

8. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound
    I put a '62 P-Bass RI pickup in an old Washburn P copy. It had a warm, vintage tone to it for sure. It sounds great with flats. It didn't really give a lot of punch for cutting through the mix, but it did sound fine with the tone all the way up.

9. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Hi, to get a vintage tone I got the best result with Nordstrand NP4 on my 78 P-Bass.

I have another 79 P with SD Quarter Pound which is a more "rock bass" with lots of output. I like it very much but the NP4 is the best for me now.

10. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/TamamShodProg/
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021