Sd antiquity 1 comment

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Smack Alistair, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Hi,

last week I installed a set of SD antiquity 1's on my 1977 fender Jazz.

I bought the bass last year and the sound of the active emg's that were on it just didn't appeal to me.Too harsh to my ears.

So after a lot of research and reading, including reading lots of posts on this forum I decided to try a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity 1's.

I'm pleased to say that so far ( two gigs, one with and one without PA support) i couldn't be happier with how they sound..... :D

I have an Eden 800wt ( running one side into an eden xlt 4x10T - 4 ohm )and its the first time ever, with any bass, that i've felt able to leave the bass boost alone. It doesn't sound thin with the bass boost at 12 o'clock,and with everything else set flat too ( 12 O'clock ) they sound really natural... warm and clear....kinda like a Jazz should in my opinion.

I haven't really sussed the eq out totally for gigging yet, but the only downside so far that i could mention is that with the above mentioned configuration I have to really crank the amp to get anywhere near the volume I could get previously if there's no pa support.
    Got another gig this Friday night without PA support so I'll have a better idea how it'll go playing with a really loud drummer ( Hi Glenn) and guitarist. More wattage may be my next mission.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who ever posted anything about the SD antiquity pickups on Talkbass..I probably read them all... you're comments really helped me make my decision.

2. Well I don't think you'd be disappointed if you tried them Josh.

They've warmed my bass up considerably ( the emg's on it sounded cold and brittle to my ears )and while I dont know what an original jazz is meant to sound like, the bass now kinda sounds like it should I think
    Its very friendly on the ear.

The low output meant I had to run the amp practically flat out again tonight though ( no pa support ) and that might be a problem.

overall though i'm really really happy with how they sound.