SD Antiquity for Precision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jefferson04, Mar 13, 2004.

1. What is the difference between the antiquity I and antiquity II pickups for precision bass? I know its supposed to be a 50's/60's thing but I have no idea what the difference in sound is between the two.
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    If I'm not mistaken, the Antiquity II has a bit more output, and nicer bottom end than the Antiquity I.

Depending on what you're after, you may want to consider a Nordstrand NP4 precision pickup. It is in the same league with the Antiquities, or Lindy Fralins. I love the sound of my 1999 MIM precision deluxe with these, and TI jazz flats.

Just something to think about. Hope that helped! :hyper:
  3. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    According to Seymour Duncan, the Antiquity I is designed to resemble the 50s era P-Basses (like the '57) and the Antiquity II is designed to resemble the 60s era P-Basses (like the '62). I haven't tried the Antiquity I, but I did have an Antiquity II in a '76 P-Bass that sounded amazing. I even bought a pickup out of a '74 Fender P and a Lindy Fralin P-Bass pickup and compared the three against each other (and an American Standard Series stock p/u) and to my ears, the Antiquity had the best overall tone. It was not strictly a vintage or classic tone with strange characteristics, it just sounded great in the mix and did the best job of emulating the classi P tone that's in my head. They are definately worth the price IMHO. :cool:
  4. i have five p-basses and have change them all to antiquity I's (except my 62) the stock pickups make great paperweights !