Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SD Antiquity for Precision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jefferson04, Mar 13, 2004.

1. What is the difference between the antiquity I and antiquity II pickups for precision bass? I know its supposed to be a 50's/60's thing but I have no idea what the difference in sound is between the two.

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    If I'm not mistaken, the Antiquity II has a bit more output, and nicer bottom end than the Antiquity I.

Depending on what you're after, you may want to consider a Nordstrand NP4 precision pickup. It is in the same league with the Antiquities, or Lindy Fralins. I love the sound of my 1999 MIM precision deluxe with these, and TI jazz flats.

Just something to think about. Hope that helped! :hyper:

3. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    According to Seymour Duncan, the Antiquity I is designed to resemble the 50s era P-Basses (like the '57) and the Antiquity II is designed to resemble the 60s era P-Basses (like the '62). I haven't tried the Antiquity I, but I did have an Antiquity II in a '76 P-Bass that sounded amazing. I even bought a pickup out of a '74 Fender P and a Lindy Fralin P-Bass pickup and compared the three against each other (and an American Standard Series stock p/u) and to my ears, the Antiquity had the best overall tone. It was not strictly a vintage or classic tone with strange characteristics, it just sounded great in the mix and did the best job of emulating the classi P tone that's in my head. They are definately worth the price IMHO. :cool:

4. i have five p-basses and have change them all to antiquity I's (except my 62) the stock pickups make great paperweights !