1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SD Antiquity II's or Nordstrand NJ4's for my "jazz"?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mk2mark, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mk2mark

mk2mark

Jan 3, 2008
    Simple question, probably a not-so-simple answer! I'm caught between these, I can get both for a similar price off ebay, but is there one that's clearly better? Or maybe I should ask what differences in sound will I experience ;) They're going to be fit to this home-made guitar.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I've got nordstrands, and I really like them, but I have not played the SD Antiquities, so I can't compare them.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    What kind of wood ? What are your tonal preferences. There are a lot of great J pickups out there. Some differences in tone.

I'm sold on Pete Biltoft at www. VintageVibeGuitars.com - primarily as I can spec how I want the pickup to sound. I'm not stuck with someone else's tonal thing.

If I want warm, articulate, punchy - I spec Alnico III and a slight overwind. That is a pickup I might put into an Ash body to help tame the hi's. If I want brighter and snappier - I go ceramic or Alnic V and standard wind. That might be more appropriate for Basswood or Alder, depending on what I'm looking to achieve. Some price, either set. Built to order. A set runs in the $180 range, competitive with guys like Fralin, Lollar, Aero, etc ... more nicely detailed than the pickups I've seen from them though. Best shielding I've seen on J pickups to date. Comparing built to order with off the shelf - there's just no comparison for me...