1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SD Antiquity vs Antiquity II

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by julo, May 5, 2006.

1. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    Hi Folks,

I need some help!
    I ve been through the search function but did not find exactly what i wanted.
    I'd like to know what the difference between the SD Antiquity vs Antiquity II soundwise.

I'd like to had some vintage sound to my MIMs P and J (J is fretless). and i'd like some advice.

i've read about the Fralin, etc... but i don't know i have a cruch for the SD. But if you feel to convert me to another brand to get the early 60's sound go ahead!

thanks
    Julo

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    When they did a shootout in bass player mag ... my impression was that the Ant I was a bright/clear classic sounding single coil, and that the Ant II was a modified classic wound to have more depth and a fatter sound.

My two favorite J basses are both loaded with Duncans, one is a Hamer with a plain old set of vintage Js (not antiquity), and the other is a sadowsky 5, equipped with the duncan-made Sadowsky single coils. Roger has said that his single coils are essntially antiquity IIs without the artificial ageing ... all I know is that they sound incredible! He sells them on thier own, so that is an option too.

Duncan makes great pickups. I prefer them to the fralins.

3. Simply put, Antiquity I's have a definite mid 50's vibe. Not a big bump to the low end, and more highs. Rounds will sound zing-ier longer with these. Antiquity II's on the other hand are indeed fatter, more late 60's - early 70's sounding, with a bottom end that has amazing growl from the bridge pickup and round fatness that borders on the obscene from the neck pickup.

I've got Antiquity II's in my fretless jazz and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I read somewhere IIs were overwound a bit like they did in the late 60's. Should have some more bottom.

Dave