1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SD APJ-1 Pro Activefor P-J (P-Bass® neck/Jazz Bass® bridge)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cogno, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I put in the SD Quarter Pound last night in My MIM P and it kicks! Loads of punch and very hot! I also replaced the Bridge with a Baddass II and the whole sound has changed. I have another question for you. Amnother MIM bass I have is the Fender Deluxe P with the P/J configuration. I am thinkingabout putting in the SD Pro Active™ for P-J (P-Bass® neck/Jazz Bass® bridge). Has anyone had any experience with this???

2. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Cogno,

Although I personally kind of like it, most people don't seem to care much for the MIM Deluxe pre-amp. I would suggest just swapping the pre-amp out instead of going for the whole thing. You can buy just the Pre-amp (tone circuit) from Duncan for use with passive pickups or there are also some other good aftermarket pre's available. If you go with Duncan I would do the three band versus the two.

John
    Black Rose Customs

3. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    The Mim Fender I have is passive as all mexicans P/J's are. So I was planning in replacing the pickups and electronics to the APJ-1. Do you know if it takes any routing??? PS. I sent you a request for a quote yesterday at your web site to build me a bass. have you reviewesd it?

4. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    Reply # 2 to John at Black Rose Customs
    Here are the specs:Model Numbers: 013-5700 (rosewood)
    013-5702 (maple)

Body: Alder

Neck: Maple

Fingerboard: Rosewood or Maple (9.5" Radius/241 mm)

Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)

No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo

Width @ Nut: 1.50" (38 mm)

Machine Heads: Standard

Pickups: Vintage Special P-Bass Pickup (Mid), Vintage Special Jazz Bass (Bridge)

Controls: Volume (Mid), Volume (Bridge), Master Tone Control, Side Mounted Jack,

Pickguard: Gold Anodized P-Bass Pickguard

Bridge: US Vintage P-Bass

Unique Features: Jazz Bass Neck w/ P. Bass Body

Strings: Fender 7250ML (.045 - .100)

Accessories: Deluxe Gig Bag

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Cogno,

For some reason I was thinking MIM Jazz Deluxe when I was talking about the pre-amp. I am rebuilding one of those right now so I guess I had that on my mind. Sorry About that!!

I have never been behind the guard on an MIM Deluxe P-Bass so I am not sure about how much room there is. The question would be whether there is room for a battery. I'm confident the rest of the stuff would fit.

I will be talking to SD today on another issue so I will try to get some information.

John

PS: You have mail regarding your quote ...