Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SD, Bart EMG soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barroso, Oct 23, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    in the middle crisis of buiding a 5 string super jazz bass from warmoth and taking sadowsky as point of ispiration, i have to choose between a lot of pickups configurations. the bass should be a jazz 5 warmoth body, finished in black with black pickguard and 5 string maple/maple neck with black dots inlays. i'm thinking that active soapbars could be really interesting, expecially coupled with a j retro preamp. but EMG, SD and bartolini websites really suck!! can you help me more choosing the richt pickup, i have experience with the EMG on a czech spector and barts on a pedulla MVP only. the j retro is an awesome preamp with a 9 volt battery. thanks guys...

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    EMG-40
    Basslines ASB2-5
    Bartolini M4

these could be the exact models i'm interested in. how do they could work with a j retro in your opinion? can i use only a 9 volt battery for all the active pickups and active system?
    thanks again

3. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    I think the emg-40 and the bart m4 are for 4 strings.

4. EMG 35-dc = four string
    40-dc = five string
    45-dc = six string.

For saome reason that is how EMG does it. Im 100% positive.

5. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    According to the 2001 Bartolini Catologue, the M4 is a 5-string pickup. There are other pickups in their catalogue that work for a five string, but the M4 has the same dimensions as the EMG 40. Of course, M4 is just a basic designation relating to the shape/size of the pickup. Underneath the cover you can have a number of different configurations including p-style split magnets, quad coil, and standard side-by-side 2 magnet humbucking. I haven't tried the M4, but I did recently install a Bartolini Jazz pickup in the bridge position of my Fender Jazz fretless, and while the output is lower than the stock pickup, it sounds perfectly fine without a pre-amp.

I think part of the question you need to answer for yourself is what kind of sound do you want. EMG's sound very different from Bartolini's, IMHO. I am putting emg p-pickups in a bass I'm restoring, because I want a very clean hi-fi sound. True EMG's have the pre-amp built into the pickup, but are really best when used with a tone control system. In my case, I'm using the EMG BTC system, but mainly because it fits the pre-existing control holes.

I'm planning to put Bartolini M4 side-by-side humbuckers in a graphite neck I want to build because I want some growl. I plan to use a bartolini pre-amp with adjustable mid frequency control and I also plan to wire the pickups so that they can be switched between single-coil and humbucking mode (this can't be done on EMG's, although they may have a pickup out now that can approximate this adjustment).

6. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    I asked Bill Conklin about what barts would fit in my gt-4 and he said m4's