Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SD Basslines active- microphonic repair or replace

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by didier, Feb 22, 2006.

1. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    I have a 4 string Jazz modded a couple of years ago with Duncan STC-2 and active jazz pups AJJ-1.

The neck pup has gone microphonic, to the point that a slight fingertip tap on it picks up as a nice pop through the amp. I suppose that could be usefull, but I think I'd rather not have it this way.

So I am thinking to try to pot it with wax, I see plenty of directions to do this, and feel like I could do it, or I might just take it to a shop and see if they can do it for me.

My questions:

pre-first: am I even on the right track here? I'm not getting any feedback or screeching from the bass, but I'm not usually using it in very loud situations. And just a little tap or rub on the pup is picked up nicely in the signal. if so, then

1) Will this even work? I thought they are already potted, maybe something came loose, though.

2) Can I get a direct replacement for it, it is just the NECK, and I have only seen The Seymour Duncan active jazz in sets or just the bridge (I guess for P-J mods) for sale.

3) I am not stuck on the idea that it has to be replaced with the same SD/AJJ model pickup, is there another active or passive that would be a good match? Especially, would a passive pickup in the neck even work in combination with the active in the bridge?

Thanks, I love this bass and the sound of the basslines in it, and hope I can get some wisdom from the good folks here.

Cheers,
    Didi