1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SD Basslines active- microphonic repair or replace

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by didier, Feb 22, 2006.

1. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    I have a 4 string Jazz modded a couple of years ago with Duncan STC-2 and active jazz pups AJJ-1.

The neck pup has gone microphonic, to the point that a slight fingertip tap on it picks up as a nice pop through the amp. I suppose that could be usefull, but I think I'd rather not have it this way.

So I am thinking to try to pot it with wax, I see plenty of directions to do this, and feel like I could do it, or I might just take it to a shop and see if they can do it for me.

My questions:

pre-first: am I even on the right track here? I'm not getting any feedback or screeching from the bass, but I'm not usually using it in very loud situations. And just a little tap or rub on the pup is picked up nicely in the signal. if so, then

1) Will this even work? I thought they are already potted, maybe something came loose, though.

2) Can I get a direct replacement for it, it is just the NECK, and I have only seen The Seymour Duncan active jazz in sets or just the bridge (I guess for P-J mods) for sale.

3) I am not stuck on the idea that it has to be replaced with the same SD/AJJ model pickup, is there another active or passive that would be a good match? Especially, would a passive pickup in the neck even work in combination with the active in the bridge?

Thanks, I love this bass and the sound of the basslines in it, and hope I can get some wisdom from the good folks here.

Cheers,
    Didi