Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SD Basslines MM anyone???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Dec 7, 2002.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    I need some info about this pickups(music man style), i'm building a bass, and i'm thinking of trying them....

are they versatile???(for jazz, funk, slap, latin, slow tunes, etc.)

I'm gonna use a moses neck on the bass.

2. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Another thing

do any of you have sound samples???

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I had a swamp-ash Washburn XB900 which had a SD MM and preamp as the stock system, and all I can say is that combination was brutal--like an Ampeg in your bass!

Very harsh, big-sounding and gritty, which is great if you want to cut through a wall of guitars, but if you want the smoove groove, it probably ain't there. BTW, I hear that there are actually two SD MMs available, one with ceramic polepieces and the other with alnico. Someone here told me that one of them was mellowerer sounding, but I can remember which.

4. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    someone said to me that those pickups can have lots of sounds... I like the idea of the big sound(and also your description)that MM style pickups can have, but i would also like to have something like the jazz bass pups, is it posible with the same SD MM???.

maybe the one with alnico?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think the alnico pickup is the more polite sounding one. You won't be able to get a jazz-like tone out of them unless you split the coils, which to my knowledge isn't possible with the matching SD preamp.

6. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    This is kinda difficult.....

I think i'll try a J/P configuration then.

Thanks for the answers. I will try the MM style pickups with another bass, now i want something more versatile.

i still want to try the seymor duncans..... Maybe someone here can talk me about their experiences with this kind of config (Jazz/Precision).

From the seymor duncan site:

"SPB-3 -- This Precision pickup is for musicians who want maximum output and extended frequency range. Large quarter-inch wide pole pieces expand the magnetic field and extend the frequency range from low to high end for a fat, full, punchy sound with midrange presence. The Seymourized ™ design balances the coils with the magnets for great sustain and harmonics.

Hot for Jazz Bass®
    SJB-2 -- This pickup delivers more output and punch than the SJB-1. You get a deeper low-end response than stock pickups. Like all Basslines™ pickups, the SJB-2b is wax potted to reduce microphonics and feedback."

I'm also interested in this: (from the SD site)

Tone Circuits™ On-Board E.Q. for Bass
    STC-2/STC-3/STC-MM -- This system provides either two or three focused bands of EQ together with a master volume, blend, and a proprietary slap contour ( Like this a lot) which, with the flick of a switch, delivers a focused bottom, contoured mids and transient highs with a lot of air. It's great for instantly changing from slap to fingerstyle without compromising tone. The bass control brings up the bottom end without being boomy or mushy; the mid control (3 band only) gives great cut without being honky; and the treble control is engineered to bring in a lot of presence without a lot of noise.

7. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    OK here is the deal with the music man...I just built a five string jazz copy out of warmoth parts. THERE IS NO VERSITALITY OUT OF THE MM PICKUP. you get straight MM flea like tone. You can split the pickup with a DPDT on/on/on switch its wired in parallel in the middle position. that helps allot. I find I use the one twards the neck most often. I think I have the ceramic one.

I have heard the hot jazz pickups and they are sweet. You can get perfect jaco tone if they are on a frettless. I have only heard good things about thier quarter pounder P. and if you dont like it they will trade it back for like 30 day trial. They are really great about that.

the preamps...Dont even bother with the MM preamp. The bass knob's resonant peak is at 20 Hz. I dont know many cabs go down that low, and most power amps crap out around there. its a slow slope, but still I didnt like it. Thier other preamps arnt much better @30 Hz. Aguilar came out with a new 3 band. It costs about the same, and looks to be more usable, and should work perfectly with passive pickups. read the wiring diagrams on thier web site...If I hadnt spent the money on the basslines preamp, I would probably try the aguilar. I am a passive head anyway. Tube amps like passive better, but aguilar makes tube amps too....hmmm I am think-typing out loud. Maybe I will spend the extra money. Good luck

8. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Thanks for the answers. I have some news

I've met a guy that can sell me fender pickups at a really low price(he is the fender dealer or something like that in chile)(don't know how low, but he will tell me later). Now about the preamp, he have just sold a fodera preamp(3 band) in us$150(app) it seems like a good price, he also have the aguilar(but the obp-1). I don't know what's the big deal with fender pickups, and also don't know what pickups to choose, there are lots of fender pickups.
    I also would rather to have pickups without the fender name on it, but if their sound is good, i'll take them.

The luthier(friend) that is working with me, he told me that he is gonna give me a body(raulí=fine wood you can find here) for the bass and i will pay him later.

the body is supposed to be his design(i haven't seen it), that's why i have to make him "promotion". With this i can say that he is my endorser :D

I'm gonna have my moses neck next week, cause now i have to study for a big test that i have on december 17... (the one that you need to enter to the university... i'm going to study music next year :D)

thats all

9. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I am highly sugesting going with basslines pickups. I just got off the phone with them. I have been having some problems with my pickups and my tone, but they are doing every thing in thier power to make me a happy customer. I dont know about fender's international customer service policies, but I doubt they are much better than thier US plan, which is; good, you bought it now you are in our clutches. I have to stress seymour duncan's help in my quest for tone has been nothing short of amazing. They really take pride in thier products and the customer service reps know the product line well.

10. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    thanks, i think i'll try them :D

i still don't know if i pick the J+P config like victor wooten or the J+J.... i'll make the choice later.... (or maybe humbuckers....) :confused: