Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SD Basslines SJ5-67-70's vs Fender Noiseless v

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cb56, Jan 13, 2006.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Any one compare the two? I'm not thrilled with the Fender Noiseless in my Jazz v and am thinking about replacing them with the SD basslines. The SD's claim to do the 62 jazz thing but they are single coil as opposed to humbucking like the Fender noiseless. I'm thinking the single coils will be more aggressive sounding which is what I'm after. The Fender Noisless just seem flat and lifeless to me. My strings sound dead all the time. Whatcha think?

2. Well if you say that your strings sound dead all the time then it could possibly be a string issue.. Maybe trying some different types of strings and see if they will help out the sound and see if they liven it up a bit.
    Other then that, I would say that the Basslines are great pickups, and I would sugeest them if you are still unhappy with the noiseless pickups. The only issue I could see you having with them would be that they are single coils, so I mean, if you don't mind the 60-cycle hum, then they would be great pickups.

Greg

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yes I'm aware of the 60 cycle hum and am willing to put up with it. My other bass has active emg's in it so I could always switch to it if the hum becomes unbearable.
    As far as strings go. Fender, GHS, EB Slinky's, TI Super Alloy's,
    Carvin, D'adarrio XL's are the different strings I have tried with this bass.
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

4. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The Duncans will give you a little more lively and tranparent tone and likely a little more mid content. Some of that will be due to simply going from noiseless to a single coil, some has to do with the winding.

Norstrand also offers a Jazz 5 replacement set. I stock them but honestly I haven't had a chance to personally review them yet. So far though I have liked all the Nordstrand stuff I have had a chance to listen too.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm more and more impressed with Duncun's these days. I just did a mini shootout with a bunch of single coil pickups. It turned out that my favorite by far was the Duncun SJB-1's. They had everything I could want from a single coil pickup. If the 5 string version is anything like those than I highly reccomend them.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Cool. I've had my Fender Jazz V up for sale at "give it away" prices for several weeks with no interest in it. The only thing I don't like about it is the Fender Noisless pickups. They just seem so dead and lifeless. I think you guys just helped me make up my mind to keep what really is a good bass and upgrade the electronics. I think I'll start with the Basslines and maybe down the road add a J retro.
    Thanks again.
    cb

7. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I have an MIM deluxe V with the fender noiseless pickups and the same preamp, and I sort of agree. The pickups are very "compressed" sounding and sort of generic. They work really well live, and no one in my two bands complains about the tone, but they seem kind of resistant to personality. Not sure what it is about them. I'm also thinking of trying the Duncans, because otherwise I really like the bass.

8. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I have (had) the same "problem"...

So, I've ordered Bartolini 57CBJD

It will turn out if they are good or not, they will be installed within a week. :)