1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SD Hawkbucker Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ZenBass, Jul 8, 2005.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I could swear that's a Rickenbacker bridge replacement pickup...

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    If I recall correctly, the Rickenbacker replacement pickup was based on the Hawkbucker.

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I've had both, the Hawkbucker was around 10K resistance and about 1/8" longer magnets than the 8K Ric bridge replacement pup. Tone wasn't bad but not as good as lots of other things. Mine didn't fit into a normal humbucker ring very well, it was a little too long and I had to take a file to the ring.

4. 12 years later, is there any more information on this SD Custom shop pickup?

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Contact Us - Seymour Duncan Custom Shop

And anyway, it looks like a basic dual-blade humbucker, of which there are others readily available. Wilde L90 is my favorite, but DiMarzio X2N and D-Activator X are also similar. Any reason you're fixated on this one?

6. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland
    That explains why the Ebay link doesn't work!

SD have a page on it here: Hawkbucker

It looks a lot like any other hotrail pickup, though maybe the choice of Alnico 5 magnets sets it apart? It would be nice if they published the width of the rails on the pickup however. Are they wide enough that you could use them on a Fender bass in the bridge position if you desired?

I'm running a semi-hollow bass with hotrail pickups (different brand), and actually they sound fine for the job I need them to do.

7. Me or the OP? I was just wondering good it sounds because it seems to get TB's seal of approval from what I've seen.

ctmullins likes this.
  8. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Either. Both. I'm not sure actually...

I can't imagine it sounding any better than the $60 Wilde L90. :)

9. But Wilde L90s, X2Ns and D-Activator X are all guitar pickups.

10. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    A distinction that has everything to do with marketing and nothing to do with any intrinsic difference between an electric guitar and an electric bass guitar. Both instruments use ferrous strings to excite a magnetic field which produces a current in a coil (or two) within that field. The technology is exactly the same. And the frequencies being reproduced only differ by one octave; the two instruments share more actual pitches than not. The only physical differences have to do with total string spacing and matching existing form factors. I encourage you to look past the labels that we as Westerners are obsessed with, and see these things for what they are.

E S Anderson likes this.
  11. ...

...I just wanted to know how the Hawkbucker sounded compared to fellow bass pickups, but Hare Krishna and stay woke to you too, my brotha.

ctmullins likes this.