Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SD Hot Stacks vs. DiMarzio Ultra Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RAM, May 27, 2001.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I read the article in Bass Player magazine, and as many posts here as I could search on, but still am trying to find more information about how they sound; and, maybe even how they compare.

Anyone with opinions either way on these two J-pups?

Responses are very much appreciated!!!:D

2. just a quick reply, i've got them on my 99 us J

there really good, they allow you to reproduce all the tones and sounds you currently get, but there just so quiet, they have a bit more power nothing drastic, but solo the neck pu and hear it grunt, i've got 45-105's and with the tone around 7 and just the neck, i can get some fat sounds, every thing up full and it's nice and round, bridge and you can get some really nice jaco stlye sounds, i prefer this fro playing come on, come over

there worth there money, there good value and an exact replacement.

one thing though, if you get them, consider sheilding your bass, i had them for about 9 months, and i was experience alot of electrostatic noise, a few people with the ultra's have, but i had everything sheilding(paint) and it doesn't make a sound,, i sometimes leave the room without switching it off

i've got it setup with a BADass2 and the sustain and clarity is amaizing, with a good setup it can do anything, i just need a 5 now!!!!!

later,

3. I agree with Tyburn about the Ultrajazz. I don't know about the hot stacks, but I have played classic stacks, which are first rate.