Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SD Hots TOO hot for an active bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Offbase, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Does anyone know if Duncan "Hot" Precision & Hot, stacked Jazz pups are too much for a 9 volt preamp to handle? I'd like to put 1 p & 2 of the J's in a Fender Urge I bass (weird layout: J/P/J, and a Kubicki 9-volt preamp). I'd appreciate any knowledgeable input. Thanks!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I haven't tried it. However, I have used the SPB-2 in a couple of basses, and it doesn't overdrive the front end of my Ampeg preamp. I have also used the American Standard P pickup, and if you A/B them, the Hot doesn't really sound louder. Some SD and EMG active circuits say they can be used for either active of passive pups. They don't say "except for the SPB-2". I realize that this doesn't speak directly to your question, and I have no experience with Kubicki electronics, but maybe you'll be able to glean some useful information anyway.

Maybe if you e-mail Phil Kubicki, he could answer this one.

3. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I've used the SD Hot P with an EMG-BTC active circuit and had no problems. I actually prefered the passive sound better, so I took the preamp back out.