Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SD lighning Rod and stock pots ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by truckin88, Feb 13, 2005.

1. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    I bought brand new Seymour Duncan P/J lightning rod active pickups on ebay, they go for dirt cheap??? well got them, they are nice, but they come with a battery clip but no pots, can I use the ones currently in my passive bass??? also I see the wiring diagram for the p and the j but what about the p and j together?? Also if I can't use the stock pots which can I use for vol-vol-ton, also do I need a .022 cap (will .02 work) and do I need a stereo output jack??

Thanks.

when i got them they are new, but wrapped in palstic not SD retail package.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    they only have 100k audio though, what about tone pot???

also does it matter what kind of capacitor i use, is there a big difference is .022 and .02, and what about type of cap (as in make up)

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, that was one example of a retailer. If you search other places, I'm sure you'll find 100k linear taper. I can't do it all for you ;)

Different values of cap give different tone pot effects, if you search you'll find SMASH's thread where he talks about experiments he did with different cap values.

5. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    they say on that website, that the same pots can be used for tone and tone, sorry if I didn't word it right.

6. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    just read the jazz schedmatic all i need are audio taper, and guitar electronics has that plus the jack and a .022 cap, so looks like i am set, I think I am gonna change it up though with a 3 way toggle, go from vvt, to that, but we will see. thanks for all your help.