SD MM p/u in a fender MMjazz???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xbradx, Jan 16, 2005.

1. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    hello all,

does anyone know if a duncan MM pickup would work well with the pre-amp in a marcus miller jazz bass?
    reason i'm asking is, i'm trying to sell my '77 stingray due to paranoia about it getting jacked out on the road and really couldn't ever replace it should that happen. so if i'm able to sell, i need a MusicMan-style setup to keep my current sound and was thinking about two options, either having a custom swamp-ash J-body made by either warmoth or USA customs with either just the Musicman p/u route or MM/jazz combo, or just routing out the bridge p/u spot on my miller and installing the SD p/u i already have in it, and adding a switch to select between just the Musicman in parallel and the J with one coil of the Musicman in a typical jazz setting. but i don't know if that would be a problem with the pre-amp that's in it hooked up to that p/u.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    It'll work, but be warned that it will sound NOTHING like your 'Ray . . .
  3. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    so i'm guessing that i'd be better off not butchering my marcus and instead setting up something else with a different preamp. what onboard preamp(besides SD's own musicman model) would you suggest? how's the anguilar pre's in comparison?
    and i took some measurements and noticed that the stingray p/u is about 2.5" from from the saddles of the bridge. is that about the same distance from a standard jazz's bridge p/u? i noticed that my marcus's bridge p/u seems to be farther back than most other fender jazz's. it looks like the coil closest to the brigde of a stingray p/u is in about the same position as a normal fender j-bridge p/u. can anyone confirm this. if so, then i have a possible line on another MIJ jazz pretty much identical to the marcus i could use and save money over building my own with with a custom body. and i could put in either the SD MMpre or anguilar, or something similar that would give me a good 'Ray sound but with a good jazz body.
  4. Why not keep the ray and take a sub out on the road and leave the 77 at home? Then you get to keep the vintage bass for recording and the cheaper to beat the crap out of on the road?
  5. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I like this idea...the SUB is in the vain of your '77...slab body, 2-band pre-amp.

Probably cheaper than a Warmoth/USACG, I have a MM/J jazz using USACG and Warmoth parts and it sounds absolutely nothing like a Stingray.

I'm thinking about parting it off and selling it, if you really wanna go that route, PM and maybe you can get something used/cheaper...
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For the same reason that a 'Ray-shaped pickup in a jazz bass will not get you the 'Ray sound, any preamp in a jazz bass will likewise not yield you a 'Ray sound.

You need to just keep your 'Ray, use it like intended, and keep an eye on it to keep it safe. If yours is rare and dear to you, buy another used one. Don't waste your time and money trying to get a coyote to quack like a duck.
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

8. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok, i should probably give you guys some more info on my setup.
    when i got my stingray, i traded in a G&L 1500 which i really liked the sound and playability of but had gotten for really cheap(clearance actually :D ) at a local shop cause i couldn't afford the real thing at that time in my life and thought that'd be close enough to hold me over. so a soon as i found that '77 ray i scraped together the cash and traded in the G&L.
    but anyway, i shortly thereafter, due to some dropping out when i played hard enough, i replaced the p/u with a duncan ceramic and just ran it through the original stock 2-band pre in the ray wired in parallel.

i bought the miller as a backup to the ray and actually, with my gear and the sound i use, the miller actually sounds pretty close to the musicman, just not quite as full. so my idea was that if i got either a custom jazz or p body made from the same(or similar) wood with a musicman p/u and musicman pre-amp installed, or just got a used fender and had my woodworking neighbor route out the musicman p/u hole(and also put in that duncan 2-band musicman pre) that it would sound close enough.
    so i'm not sure why putting the seymore duncan musicman p/u i have, with the duncan musicman preamp/electronics would sound any different than my ray, other than the difference in woods. but that's what i'm here to find out. and if i knew what my wood my ray's body is cut from, i'd try to find something that to use for the project.

sorry if i'm sounding like a huge pain in the a$$, but i'm here to try to do some research and learn about all this stuff :help: . i'm just kinda new to all this pre-amp/active stuff and reading through alot of the posts here, obviously most of you here know a hell of alot more about this stuff than i do.
    now, i did have my G&L for several years before i traded it, but the shop didn't provide me with the paperwork, so i just fiddled with all the knobs until i figured out what was what. i think i was running the p/u in that in series, so when i eventually put that duncan into my ray, i wired it for series and didn't really like the sound, so i just used it in parallel and was satisfied with what came out.

believe me, i'd love to be able to just keep the ray, i was planning on buying an Allparts jazz neck(one of the block-inlayed maple replacements) which i figured would A: keep me from wearing out the frets on the ray's neck, and B: make it LOOK like a cheap homebrewed bass that noone would want to steal out on the road :ninja: .
    unfortunately, with insurance coming due for my new van, upcoming medical and dental expenses and a looming month-and-a-half long summer tour, i figured i'd cut my losses, sell the musicman on ebay, use part of that money to put away for what i'm gonna be short for, and use the rest to go towards either my jazz/musicman project, or just buy a beat-up used 90's musicman(but i'm not a fan of the 3-EQ pre's in most of those).

well, i've rambled on long enough....
    thanks for the replies so far :bassist:
  9. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok, so i'm not done rambling :oops: ...i had been thinking about that option for awhile, but so far i haven'tfound a sub that i liked. i've tried several out at various guitar shops and they just seem, i guess. just like comparing a vintage fender jazz(or even a good recent US or CIJ model) to the mexican fenders. if i did something like that, since i am selling the '77, i'd rather just go with a used recent model ray than a sub, something in the $700-800 range(as opposed to the $1500 range of my '77).
    i guess the whole thing about doing something custom, is just the idea that feeling of putting it together myself with the option that i've always wanted in an instrument.
  10. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    That has to be one of the funniest lines I have heard in ages.