1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

SD MM-Style Ceramic Pup and SD 3-band MM Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Geri O, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Zack_MyBass.jpg I know these "what if" questions drive folks crazy, but I'm hoping to make a gamble a little less of a gamble and if it doesn't happen, that's fine.

I also know that the ceramic MM pup and the 3-band MM preamp combination (specifically the units found in the 1993-2008 Stingray five-strings, I think those are the years) are not considered the most desirable MM sound, but frankly, I absolutely love it. Rude, knarly, aggressive and I can control it with the treble control and where I play along the strings.

A local builder wants to build a bass made to my specs. I was on the fence about the pup configs until a few folks I play with here and there suggested that I keep my MM sound with this new bass (I know, if the SR5 does it so well, why build something like it? Ehhh, why not, in my twisted logic). The only pups and pres that I can find (ceramic pups, 3-band pre) are available from Seymour Duncan. Has anyone used this SD pup configuration before? Or can you recommend a similar config from another maker that would offer the same qualities as the OEM config of the Stingray?

I have played newer SR5s, or whatever they call it now and they sound really, really good. I think I would certainly be happy with an alnico pup and 2-band config from another maker, but I want to start down the SD rabbit hole in my search for that tone.

The biggest change in the bass being built will be its neck-through design and bound body edges. The builder made a virtual design in a program he uses which I have attached here, but it will go through some changes, of course. First and foremost, it WILL NOT have Fender on the headstock...:D. And it will be a five-string. Probably no pick guard, controls installed from the back.

I know there are a lot of variables and pitfalls with such a venture, as well as reasons to not pursue such a venture. But this is how we satisfy our curiosities about such ideas and the builder is building the bass for the cost of the materials. So why not, ya know? I realize the negative aspects of the project, so no need to go there, please.

Thanx for ideas.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  2. liveburning274

liveburning274 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I've honestly thought about this too for a custom build due to my fondness for my Ray35 with flats. The only I couldn't love was the weight. So why not just build one that really fits and I can enjoy playing all day....???

I've thought about this many times.

3. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    And I was able to talk privately today with a couple of guys that say if my SR5 is the sound I'm going for, then the Duncan setup is the way to go. So I'm feeling better about the choice.

The bass hasn't been started yet, should be in a couple of weeks, then completed maybe by Thanksgiving. It's gonna be an exciting project, to me anyway.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021