Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SD Musicman wiring?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xbradx, Mar 5, 2005.

1. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    just wanted to try and confirm some info on SD's MM pickup leads. i've been experimenting with my marcus j/mm setup with different wiring combos with a DPTT switch(using the supplied duncan wiring suggestions) and i'm assuming that the black and white wires are hot and ground for the bridge coil while the red and green are the same for the neck coil.
    so basically, if i wanted to have the neck coil of the MM switched on solo with the jazz neck p/u for a jazz sound, i'd have to make sure the hot and ground on the jazz p/u are wired in reverse? i'm basically wanting to experiment with some of the bart switch wiring diagrams, and wanted to confirm my thinking on the SD's color coding before i warm up the soldering iron again. also, i replaced the original 250k bridge p/u pot with a 500k(since the duncan MM's a HB).
    so far i'm just not getting the sound i was expecting, probably due to having the ceramic MM not the alinco. or i just need to upgrade the preamp as well.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

The leads sound right to me. You'll know if you get the leads crossed cause either it won't work on both coils (tap on poles with small allen wrench - with volume down) or you'll be out of phase. When you throw a switch into the mix it gets more complicated in a hurry - for starters they're hard to solder to.

There's a lot more variables than just the pup that affect tone. In my experience the ceramics are a little brighter and more clear than the Alnico 5's but it's not a big time variation. Enough for me to prefer Alnico 5 MM's over ceramic but nothing major.

3. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    thanks, that's what i was thinking, but couldn't find any info anywhere to confirm.
    and yeah, when i got the p/u off of ebay, i didn't realise there were two different versions available. it actually sounded good in my old 77'Ray, but i'd attribute that to it also having the original black coated pre, as opposed to what's stock in the marcus.
    i'm gonna order the alinco version ASAP.
    has anyone used the SD musicman p/u with any of the Aguilar pre's? i was entertaining the idea of just taking the stock fender pre out of the marcus altogether and just using the outboard Aguilar 924 pre(so i can use it for the fender P i've got on the way as well), or just install the OBP-1.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I had an Miller pre that came with the MM pups I wanted. Never intended to install or keep the pre but I've got the impression from others the pre is diminishes the pups. Personally I'd go with the outboard pre for two reasons: you can use it with any bass as you'd said, but also you can hear what the bass sounds like with and without the preamp. You can also wire any onboard preamp as an outboard if you want to mess with it.

I've had a dozen or so EMG, Aguilar, and Bart 2 and 3 band preamps and to me it's splitting hairs - but it can make as much difference as ceramic to alnico in the MM pups. Probably the only preamp that I was curious about I didn't check out was the Sad. Players rave about the Sad but they also rave about the others. Personally, I suspect it's just smoke but haven't had one so don't know. I haven't had the Sansamp DI (or similar) and so I would be more inclined to go that route myself.

5. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    cool, been thinking about that outboard Aguilar for awhile now(thanks to all the praise it's gotten here). the only reason why i haven't really considered the Duncan musicman pre is that i really just wanted a 2-band EQ and don't slap, so the slap switch seems to be useless for me, and with the lakland-style setup i didn't think i'd be able to use the jazz p/u with that pre(unless the other "standard" duncan pre has more differences from the musicman version other than size).
    thanks again for the input! :bassist: :D