1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SD NYC pus... Just a thought...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xkomo, Jul 14, 2014.

1. xkomo

xkomo

Feb 6, 2011
    Greece
    I own a Greek odyssey custom 5 string bass and I am thinking to change the pickups. The woods combination is the same as the fodera emperor standard. So I was wondering, if I replace the pickups with the duncan nyc soapbars (the emperors pus) would my bass sound something like the fodera?

Thank you and sorry for the (maybe) silly question!

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Those SD NYC pickups aren't the same as the as the Duncan/Fodera duals. From what little I've heard they are pretty different actually.

If you want to cop the Fodera dual coil vibe I think your best best is probably a pair of the series wind Nordstrand Dual Coils.

I think this video is a good representation of the sound.

xkomo likes this.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    theres that sound. love it. i gotta get these series wound nords i have laying around into a bass!

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    If it was me I'd be giving Chris Stambaugh a call. . .

Hell, it probably WILL be me at some point. I ended up going for a 70's jazz bass vibe with my new bass from Chris, but I'd love a neck through five string with the Nordy duals too.