1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SD pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrVanimal, Aug 2, 2017.

1. MrVanimal

MrVanimal

Feb 13, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    So I have a Jackson C4A which has a Jazz pickup in the neck and a MusicMan in the bridge. They came with Duncan Designed and I want to replace them with the real deal. I'm thinking a QP Jazz in the neck and the Ceramic MM in the bridge. Would these match up ok? I know the QP is Alnico V. Should I go with the Alnico V version of the MM instead? Also, is there any other SD pickup configurations I should look at that would match well?

2. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    I have a Quarter Pounder P pickup at the neck and the Ceramic MM at the bridge (see profile pic). The MM in series keeps up with the QP pickup, but in parallel or single mode, it is a little quieter. Not sure how the QP Jazz compares volume wise to the QP Precision

What don't you like about the sound of the current pickups?

3. MrVanimal

MrVanimal

Feb 13, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    They are just blah. No real tone or character. I've had the Jazz QP's before and I liked them.

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I absolutely love the QP Jazz pickups, I have two basses with them. One is a Jazz V:
    0C4DB6EB-3419-4FFC-BACA-85FFE32387CB.

And the other is a Jazz with MM bridge pickup:
    A723783C-E83E-40F1-943D-D84436019289.

As mentioned above, the MM needs to be wired in Series to keep up with the QP in volume. Parallel will be about 15-20% quieter.
    Though my MM is not an SD (it's a Carvin Alnico), it is super ballsy and has great midrange.

5. MrVanimal

MrVanimal

Feb 13, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Alright, thanks! It's replacing the stocks so it should be in series already. If not, I'll make sure it is wired that way.

6. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

One thing to be aware of is that the QPs are single coil, and so won't hum-cancel with the MM pickup. You'll have hum (except when the neck pickup is rolled all the way off)