1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SD Quarter Pounders vs Apollo for Jazz bass comparison?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CD_Donaldson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. CD_Donaldson

CD_Donaldson

Dec 28, 2016
    I've yet to find a comparison of the two surprisingly so I figured I would join the forum and ask for myself. Any input?

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Well, I can say that the Apollos were designed to get a traditional Jazz sound with side-by-side hum-cancelling coils, and to my ears, these are the best traditional humbuckers for Jazz that we've produced. The Quarter Pounds are not traditional sounding at all to my ears, with a lot more mids and output. Great for heavier styles, or if you like some grit in your playing.

3. CD_Donaldson

CD_Donaldson

Dec 28, 2016
    So it's probably just a much more full sounding pickup compared to the scooped QP's. I guess my main question is, are they "better"? The QP's lose some sound on the D and G strings whereas the Apollos are supposed to help in that department? Could you not get that grit with the Apollos if you drive your amp a bit more?

I'm trying to justify switching. I don't like how the QP's don't cut through very well (to me) except for the low growls.

4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    It really depends on how much you like traditional J bass tone, because that is what the Apollo Jazz sounds like to me. It doesn't have the output of the QP, so if you are used to that, you'd have to boost the signal elsewhere. The Apollo Jazz set is a lot more balanced EQ-wise than the QP, but about 70% of the output.

5. CD_Donaldson

CD_Donaldson

Dec 28, 2016
    I guess my problem was not playing enough with the stock pickups so I don't remember if I liked them or not haha. Thanks for your input and help man!