1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SD SCPB-1; suggestions for pots and cap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TonH, Jan 7, 2012.

1. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Recently I have build a precision bass and put a SD SCPB-1 pickup in the bass. I also used a 250k pot for volume and a 250k pot for tone control (cap 47mF). The sound was not that good, so I tried it without the pots, straight to the amp and it sounds perfect.

I changed the pots (again 250k) and the cap, but the same result, bad sound (weak and not much low end). The wiring is according to what seymour duncan prescribed.

What if would use 500k pots instead? Would I get more output?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you liked it with no pots at all, then try a 500k linear volume and a 1M audio tone. (that's almost the same sound, but with reasonable sweep on the controls.)

3. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Thanks!

I will try it and let you know what the result is.

4. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I tried the 500k and 1M pots. The sound was better, but I found the sound not good enough.

I installed a SCPB3 instead and that did the trick. Normal pots 250k and cap.

The problem could have been that the radius of the neck wasn't 7.25" . And maybe a SCPB1 need such a radius, because of the polepieces.