1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SD Soap Bars and series wiring on T-Bird?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TJSlice, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TJSlice

TJSlice

Jan 7, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Can't seem to find a wiring diagram to hard wire a PJ style P/U configuration in series. Not looking for a switch or push pull. I like the sound of the pickups, just need some more guts and output. Here is the stock wiring for the SD pickups that I used.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/basslines/501035-120.pdf

Thanks in advance guys!

2. TJSlice

TJSlice

Jan 7, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I found the jazz setup in series, trying to adapt it to the SD setup. I drew in the red and black wires (black would be the ground and black from pickup moved to the middle lug of the middle pot. Would this do the trick?

SDSeries.

3. TJSlice

TJSlice

Jan 7, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Almost just thinking dropping the stockers back in. Gonna take the bird to "loud" practice and crank it. How much extra output would come from series wiring? 10-20% ish?

4. I'm not sure what you're trying to do in that diagram, but the first volume pot varies output impedance, and will mute everything as it's rolled down.

What you want is series wiring for two volumes.
    [​IMG]
    (Diagram courtesy of Walterw.)

Make sure you like the sound of the pickups in series. Many pickups end up just being hot and midrangey with all that inductance.

5. TJSlice

TJSlice

Jan 7, 2012
    Las Vegas
    So is the middle volume pot the only one with the third lug grounded? And the normal grounding scheme ( all the pot cases chained together, along with bridge ground and output jack negative) still apply, correct?