Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SD SPB-1 vs. Fender Orig. P-Bass. Much Difference?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Slater, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm going to replace the pickup in my new Fender Standard (MIM) P-Bass.

(I gigged with this bass this past weekend, and IMO, the stock ceramic pickup is junk. Muddy and hollow sounding).

My top choices for the replacement pickup are the Seymour Duncan Vintage for P-Bass SPB-1, or the Fender Original P-Bass.

Does anyone have experience with both of these pickups? Are they pretty much the same (soundwise), or are there some differences worth knowing about?

(Note: Please don't suggest Fralin or Nordstrand pickups. I'm sure they're great, but not in my budget.)

Thanks for any help :) .

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Can´t go wrong with SD quarter pounders.

3. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I bought the Fender Original '60s Precision Bass Pickup today. I'm going to install it tomorrow...

4. contrabassie

contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    Belgium
    Are you happy with that fender original precision bass pickup you've placed in your bass?

5. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Wow! almost 2 years ago!

The Fender Original P-Bass pup was an improvement over the stock MIM pup, and provided traditional P-Bass tones.

However, I have now decided that I prefer pickups with that little something extra, and the Lindy Fralin pickup is my favorite P-Bass style pup, and is worth the extra money (to me).

Furthermore, I now have a Lakland P-Bass with a Darkstar pickup and I'm blown away! The Darkstar is loud and proud and defined. I don't think I'll be able to go back to traditional P-Bass type pups now that I've been Darkstar'd!

6. contrabassie

contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    Belgium
    Yep, a long time ago, but I'm searching some info about pickups and things and I've thought to give this a chance. I think that there must be better pickups than those who are in my fender JV p-bass, and I'm searching for an upgrade. So, the rumour about Lindys (and the many good reviews on talkbass) is right.
    I was also thinking about placing a darkstar in my JV precision bass, but that's maybe not a good choice if I ever want to resell this bass. Maybe I'll have to go for the fralins.
    Are should it be possible to "repair" the bass after putting darkstars in it?

7. yes but it will cost a bunch to be done professionally, the pickup hole will have to be filled with a piece of wood, the re-routed for the original pickup, and finally refinished to hide the work.

8. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    I know its been several months since this thread started but I ran across it during my quest for a good vintage sounding pickup to install in a Custom P-Bass Bass I recently bought on E-Bay. Anyway I ended up buying BOTH the SPB-1 Duncan pickup and the Fender Original (62) Pickup - here are my own thoughts on how they sound.....

Both pickups sounded great, but had slight differences. The SPB-1 has great mids + lows. I found it overall to be a "Smooth" and "Woody" sounding pickup, thats the best I can describe it. It has a great sound, good cutting mid-range, growl + has punch but didnt have as "quite" as much Big Warm Thump as my '62 MIA Re-issue P-bass. So I bought the "Fender Original" P-Bass pickup and, in my opinion anyway, has all the qualities of the SPB-1 plus a bit more Thump, slightly warmer in my opinion. It just had a little something that the SPB-1 was missing. So anyways, to my ears the Fender Original pickup is better. Another bonus is the Fender Original P-bass pickup has the brass ground plates and comes with some great THICK foam pads as part of the package. I ended up with the "Fender Original" P-Bass pickup in my main bass, and installed the SPB-1 in a spare Squier bass. You cant go wrong with either, but I think the Fender has a better vintage tone ...

9. Seymour Duncan's are nice pickups.
    I personally like the SPB-3 Quarter Pounder in my P/J bass.
    Nice fat sound with smooth highs, clarity, and big lows.

If I were only wanting the original tone I would go with the Seymour Duncan's. Some have reported the 62 P pickup is "Muddy". I personally have not used them. But if you want big tone and lots of it then I suggest the SPB-3. With the SPB-3 you will want to lower the pickup some from the stock as it has higher output.

10. I have had the QTR pounders in one of my basses and they are very modern(brite) sounding compared to the 62 p-bass pickup. If you want the vintage vibe go for the vintage pickup and if you want the modern vibe go for the modern sounding pickup.