1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seafoam Green Fender Jazz Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 39Reasons, Apr 17, 2006.

1. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I noticed Jeff Ament(pearl jam)was playing a seafoam green fender jazz bass on Saturday Night Live. I have been trying to find out more information on what year they made that custom color etc. I know these are extremely rare beasts. Anyone know or have any information? I'm also trying to find a photo of one.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I love seafoam green

Rob

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I know that they made MIA Jazzes in the early to mid 90's in sea foam.

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I always thought of that as a pre CBS color originally. This guy says 1960-1969

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/reranchstore/seafoamgreen.html

But it's been used many times since then.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Seafoam Green Jazz basses with matching headstock with blocks and binding are HOT ! :cool:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I enjoy seafoam green.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's a guy on Ebay who sells "Signature" brand bass bodies (USA co. that cloned Fenders too closely) and he has a very sexy seafoam green vintage jazz body listed. I'm pretty tempted, but I already have too many irons in the fire.

8. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    I've never seen seaform green. Anyone care to share some pics?

9. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    [​IMG]

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  11. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    Arrgh - somebody else found it too... :)

I bought a bass from him - light bronze metallic, think he's got one up right now - and it's really a great bass. Bought the body and RW neck, changed bridge to Badass but the tuners are kinda cheap so they'll go at some point. I'm passing on this one for now, but it's a very good deal.

I'd love to have a seafoam bass some day. I worked at a store in Milwaukee in '89 and we had one of the '62 jazz RI basses in that color. Can't remember the price but nobody wanted it so they would have sold it cheap. Now it's worth some cash!

12. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Could someone please link me? I can't seem to find it.

13. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    Oh wow, thats a dope color. I donno if I would ever have my bass lookin like that though. Not really my style.

14. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Bob Nyswonger mentioned some limited edition P/J's that were released a little while back for a select group of players. They were made by the custom shop I believe, only 12 of them, and they were seafoam green. Apparently, they were boobies.

15. it's a sadowsky not a fender but the colour is right, it's an amazing bass.

Attached Files:

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Apparently a large number of his auctions closed over the weekend. Here is a link to his current auctions, including a couple of very nice red bodies: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZslonk18QQhtZ-1
    I have sent him about six or seven emails with detailed questions, and he has responded to every one of them in a helpful way. I'll probably end up buying one of the bodies even though I need it like a hole in the head.

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    my older brother has a fender strat from the early 90's that was seafoam green. It was an american too. I don't think it had matching headstock and blocks and inlay though. im guessing they would have created a few basses that color too. try early 90's.

18. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    Here's that Signature body that didn't sell. Looks a little dark for Seafoam but it'll do the job. Note that both of the pickups are the same length. They sound good, but if you wanted to replace them you can't use a standard jazz-type set. I think they might both be bridge-sized but I'm not positive. Like I said, they sound good - and you could always add something like an Aggie preamp if you wanted it active.

Edit: Linky

19. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey cool thanks. I just wanted to check it out for now. Are these things hard to put together? I never have before but sounds like a fun project. I just wouldn't want to spend a lot of money and screw it up. Must be a "bass building thread" around here somewhere.:confused: Thanks for the link!:hyper:

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

A whille back someone posted a pic from Fender I believe of a Vintage Reissue they were doing in Seafoam Green with matching headstock and blocks and binding and I cant seem to find it.