Seafoam green: the pepto-bismol of greens

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frustum, Apr 29, 2021.

1. 6tzguy

6tzguy 6tzguy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Orange County, Ca.
    I've owned 3 seafoam green Jazz basses!! 2 recent. One I just sold, a MIJ Jazz I've kept, and back in 1987 I had my 1964 Fender Jazz refinished in SFG. The original 3 tone sunburst was long gone and it was stained a horrible walnut-ish color with no clearcoat....just fugly. Sold the '64 after owning it for 49 years for a lot of dough, I still feel like a bad father. :sorry: :rollno:

Attached Files:

2. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    If we gave out awards, this would have my vote for "Thread Title of the Year 2021".

3. I love those colors. Harvest Gold was awesome. I prefer that to boring neutral colors like tan, beige, and sandalwood. And let's not forget the atrocity that was Mauve. Seafoam green is awesome, BTW.

4. Or Puce....it looks like it sounds

5. Thank you for that imagery. I'm going to smoke my pipe now, and remember how truly wonderful it was. Bring on the space aliens!

6. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Big Surf/SFG fan.
    SX Furrian MN Alder P90 121420.JPG

7. The proper color for a Jaguar guitar or bass. Here with matching Danelectro Honytone battery powered amp.

2013-06-01 19.13.49.jpg

murphy, Templar, BigBottom61 and 5 others like this.
  8. kre84u

kre84u

Sep 11, 2019
    NW Arkansas
    One thing I've learned over my years. There is something for every taste. Beauty is in the eye... yada yada. I don't understand your beef with Seafoam Green. Yes, it seems to be pretty popular these days, even bordering on faddish. I recently built a new bass, and I couldn't tell you why I wanted this color. I just did. I ordered Surf Green by mistake and had to sand it off and repaint. It was so godawful ugly. But I'll bet you there are folks out there who would disagree with me 100% and think Surf is the better color.

Colors appeal to places we don't know we have. My first guitar love was a mid-60s Daphne Blue Fender Mustang. I had never seen anything so beautiful. Of course I hadn't seen much at the time, but the sensation was real. That's what Seafoam Green does for me today. Especially when its so glossy, you can see your reflection.

Each to his own? 210505 PJ n Jazz2.png

BigBottom61, Neill Graham and 6tzguy like this.
  9. According to www.canva.com, “Seafoam is a shade of green, which has strong associations with nature and the environment as it is the color of trees, grass and forests. It is seen as the color of luck, freshness, and renewal.”
    So maybe, frustum, just maybe those who like seafoam green are in a quest for luck, freshness, and/or renewal.

Semi Actuated and EagleMoon like this.
  10. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    The similar shades of the convertible top and the pickguard really sell that comparison.

Neill Graham likes this.
  11. Congrats on your Talman! Delicious colour, too! I've had mine for a year. I put a bridge cover on it and pressure wound strings that I really like. I had to set it up a little adjusting the action but it was easy. Now it sounds pretty good so I dressed it up with a Jimi Hendrix strap and a choker at the nut. I use a wireless connection to the amp that works well as long as I don't forget to charge them up! Have fun with yours!
    My Ibby with Jimi Hendrix strap and choker.jpg

BigBottom61 likes this.
  12. You bet! :thumbsup:

13. Smoking Man

Smoking Man

Oct 16, 2011
    I like seafoam green a lot. It one of my favorite of the blue or green colors used on guitars/basses. I think lighter colors look better on stage from a distance, and seafoam green does that.

EagleMoon and Neill Graham like this.
  14. I'm trying to find a bass that matches my 09 Outback! :roflmao:They call this colour Seacrest Green Metallic but seafoam by any other name is... 2009SubaruOutbackPlus.jpg

15. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred

Jan 20, 2010
    Central FL
    I like seafoam green quite a bit, enough to buy my boat in that color.......I think I will go purchase a bass to match it......just for kicks.

Neill Graham and EagleMoon like this.
  16. I rather like sea foam green. Chosen by the military for applications in high-stress environments for it’s calming effect

17. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Exactly! LOL

18. Gary Stevens

Gary Stevens GS Custom Guitars. Gary Stevens. Florida USA Commercial User

Dec 8, 2019
    Green Cove Springs, Florida
    Luthier since 1989
    DuPont auto paint has Sea Foam. Leo used auto paint because it was available. Olds, Caddilac and Chevy colors

19. yPractice?

yPractice?

Jul 21, 2004
    I was seafoam green back when seafoam green wasn’t cool.

Attached Files:

20. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Right thanks I'll check em out, the color I'm looking for may have another name, not as deep of a 'tried and true sea foam' it's a little lighter hue but very close, anyone else have an idea?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021