Seafoam green: the pepto-bismol of greens

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frustum, Apr 29, 2021.

1. BeeTL likes this.
  2. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    You’re welcome! For many years that site has been the go-to for vintage paint codes and their modern equivalents.

One think I would love to see is a conversion chart for these codes into Pantone and Hex equivalents. With those numbers, anybody could get the colors mixed by any supplier in any medium at any time.

Bruce Eggleston likes this.
  3. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    That's very close to what I was trying to describe. Awesome drum kit. Beautiful finish. I wonder what it would look like on a bass guitar. With a matching headstock, of course. :)

M. M.

4. My ‘69 P bass in Seafoam Green nitro, with the original Tort PG. Hold my beer....
    B39A79A1-16DF-44D9-9847-B91DB45A1AEE.jpeg

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  5. marc40a

marc40a Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    That's cool of you to let Jason Bateman play it.

;)

Groove Doctor and BigBottom61 like this.
  6. Thank you. I’ve been told I resemble Bryan Adams, and look a lot like Misha Collins (Castiel from Supernatural) before. Jason Bateman is a new one, but I can see it in that photo.

tubatodd likes this.
  7. marc40a

marc40a Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Funny.That P is sweet. Refinished?

Groove Doctor likes this.
  8. Thanks.

I’m told it’s a refin but cannot find a different colour in the PU/neck pocket. May have originally been Seafoam Green.

Or - It might only be a clear nitro top coat that’s the actual “refin” the seller described. Probably to stabilise/prevent further wear.

It has a new fretboard too. Very thick one piece rosewood FB, carved to fit. Exceptional workmanship according to my tech.

It’s my #1 bass - it’s got the tone, feel, lightweight and good looks.

murphy, StevieMac and BeeTL like this.
  9. There is a very rare species among human beings unheard before called women, that is buying more than 50% of all electric basses and guitars, now. They - and metrosexual guys like I - buy all those sea foam basses. Although I have to admit that I don't own a single one until now. But my psychological disorder started with Daphne Blue and Sonic Blue and my therapist told me that I have to live with the fact that I will end up with sea foam green, before there is any improvement to be seen, if it ever will.

10. Thanks for the compliment. I got these in 1965 from a jazz drummer who lived at the end of my street in Sandy, Utah. It had a matching snare that I foolishly traded in 1969 for the chrome Rogers snare in the photograph. This kit seems to get more toneful as it ages. It is a wonderful drum set. All the cymbals are Zildgens from the 50s. I still play these drums when the opportunity arises.

11. utterlybored

utterlybored

Apr 16, 2021
    I do not claim to speak for all women but I like to think I chose SFG cuz it’s a cool color and not because I’m drunk on estrogen. I own a black couch, all the walls in my house are white or neutral and I go for minimalist aesthetics 100% of the time. I generally hate color because it’s a commitment. This bass might literally be the flashiest thing I own ... was my estrogen spiking that day? It could also be a mid life crisis thing.

DirkP likes this.
  12. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Bah...Too much talky...not enough pictures :banghead:

Ghastly likes this.
  13. I see the opposite problem: many of the basses I like do not come in this color.

EagleMoon, utterlybored and OregonJim like this.
  14. My couch is also black and all the walls in my house are white and I go for minimalist aesthetics 100% of the time:). So maybe my first hypothesis was simply wrong, and it is simply the cool people, who buy those basses with 60s car colors.

But it is a fact that about 50% of the guitars and basses now sold, are bought by women. This is a radical shift and it got stronger since 2018, when this article was released:

Fender Study Finds Half of New Guitarists Are Women

Women Are Saving the Electric Guitar

A few years ago, guitar sales seemed to be in a downward spiral and many saw darker times coming.
    Now in the dark corona times, guitar sales are at an alltime high. Last year Fender sold more guitars than ever before in its history (guitars and basses are not separated by these ignorant marketeers).
    I presumed that the reason, Fender is offering different models and colors during the last years has to do with women - in general - seem to focus on other criteria when buying an instrument than men. I find this interesting.
    But I'm the last one on earth, at least I hope so, to reinforce clichés about gender. It's me who's buying all these daphne blue, faded sonic blue and seafoam green basses...

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  15. utterlybored

utterlybored

Apr 16, 2021
    #truth

wow. I had no idea women were buying so many guitars. I’m looking forward to reading those articles after finishing this reply. It’s timely too... I was just teaching my 12 year old daughter how to translate her knowledge of piano chord structure into creating bass lines this evening. I decided this week it’s time she learns some bass and guitar. Her twin brother is crazy proficient on strings and I know she’s jealous... there’s no reason for jealousy. She can learn too and play in a way that satisfies her own soul. No need to compare to him.

anyway.... I think color matters to kids and beginners for sure. When my son asked for a new guitar a few Christmases ago his requirement was that it was an electric blue fender (squire). There are a lot of rich kids with very expensive instruments at my kid’s music school and I’m sure a good many of them selected by color. I wonder if this market is one that the companies realize is a real thing.

when I was picking out a new Bass a few weeks ago my first priority was feel and function.... I hoped and prayed that the SFG P would be the one I liked the most because if it wasn’t I would have gone for something else. Thankfully it all aligned and I got the bass I needed in the color I desired.

I suppose it all depends on where you are in your bass journey and bass collection. Beginners or collectors might prioritize color the most? And people who are trying to satisfy function requirements will place lesser importance on it.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  16. utterlybored

utterlybored

Apr 16, 2021
    They seem to be having a Seafoam moment over on the /bassguitar r*ed*dit if anyone wants to look at pretty pictures of seafoam basses.

17. Gary Stevens

Gary Stevens GS Custom Guitars. Gary Stevens. Florida USA Commercial User

Dec 8, 2019
    Green Cove Springs, Florida
    Luthier since 1989
    I just painted a Ricky 330 style custom build in Seafoam Green. I used Chromax ChromaBase #2253. This is the original Duco (DuPont) color that Leo used. Lacquer primer and catalized clear coat.

Attached Files:

18. Jek Porkins

Jek Porkins

Jun 9, 2020
    Lacey WA
    In my opinion there is not enough sea foam green! I had a sea foam green motorcycle 20 years ago. Never had a sea foam guitar but hopefully I find one cheap since no one likes it...:D

19. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I never understood all the love for pastels on instruments. But I do understand personal preference... so I understand why I dont understand. :yawn:

bbh, Ricky Rioli and BlueTalon like this.
  20. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    When I think 70s I think Wood paneling, brown shag carpet, tobacco or sunburst paint, or the typical Alembic.

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021