1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seafoam Green touch up paint?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassdude51, Oct 22, 2013.

1. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I have a Warmoth seafoam green bass and I just put a nasty scar on it. Normally, I wouldn't care but the body is fairly new and the chip is really bad.

Where can I get some touch up paint? I heard that seafoam green used to be a GM color on old 60s cars. Any chance of finding a Duplicolor touch-up bottle at an auto parts store or something?

If you have any info or suggestions please let me know.

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chances of finding this color in Duplicolor are slim.

An auto parts store that supplies auto body shops will be able to mix up a pint for a small charge.

3. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
  4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Have you tried using real sea foam?

5. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Contacting Warmouth is worth trying.

But bassdude51 did ask,

"Any chance of finding a Duplicolor touch-up bottle at an auto parts store or something?"

-

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The auto body supply store has the original DuPont numbers and the PPG (or other) cross matches. There are no shipping and handling charges because they are down the street.

7. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    You could dig around a nail polish display to see what you might come up with. Probably won't be perfect, but neither will any other touch-up, even original, if the finish has yellowed at all.

8. bassdude51

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Thanks guys. Some nice suggestions. Yeah, I could contact Warmoth. I never thought of that. I like landua roof's idea of checking out fingernail polish.

The "schmuck" is on the back side of the bass so a perfect match is not so critical. But any close match is gonna look better that bare wood.

Once again, thanks for the excellent suggestions! I luv all of you!

9. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but schmutz is probably closer to the word you are looking for.

Schmuck may be used to describe the temporary lapse that caused the schmutz. :)

10. HankTX

HankTX

Feb 3, 2010
    Texas
    As others have mentioned, I would contact Warmoth first. If they can't provide touchup paint, at least they can tell you where they source the paint from. There are numerous interpretations of Seafoam Green - even from those that claim to be working from the original color codes. Unless you are using the same source as Warmoth, getting a close match could be a challenge.

11. bassdude51

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Well, this info might of use to other Warmoth owners too.

I emailed Warmoth and of course they don't or won't sell touch-up paint and they won't give out color codes either..............ahhh, the wonderful world of liabilities!

But, they did tell me that they use PPG automobile paints.

Once again, thanks to everybody's help.

(Sorry for the incorrect use of the word, schmuck. I'll consult my "Sch Dictionary" from now on.)

12. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    -some- auto paint suppliers (in the areas where mere mortals can actually buy auto paint supplies) will have a color scanner and can mix a 'paint-to-sample.'

Or - find a graphic designer who has a Pantone book. Paint formulators should be able to mix to a Pantone color once you've matched it. There's a couple of companies that will mix small-batch rattle-can paints. Probably more than you need, but you can then paint music stands and guitar racks and such to match...

You might luck out and find a match in one of the color chips at a paint store. For a small area, gloss acrylic enamel might be a good choice.

Some place like Summit Racing or House of Kolor might have seafoam since it was a popular choice in the 50's era. Actually, I'd start at House of Kolor...