Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seal - Great bass lines

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mattsk42, Oct 21, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I didn't notice it *as* much in the regular albums, but if anyone has a chance to listen to the acoustic greatest hits album, there are some really nice lines. Fast and fun, I wish I could play them.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    His Album ' human being' has some killer lines, all around.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I own all his studio stuff... seen him live twice. The man can sing, write and has one hell of a stage presence. He's also good at getting some killer players!

I've always dug the first disc best. The new one is pretty cool too

4. mattsk42

Yeah Reggie Hamilton composed some or all of Human Being. Also, from looking at the credits, Seal did some of the bass lines. I saw him in Minneapolis and their sound was PERFECT. I was close to the back and off to the side, too. Clear bass lines and a perfect blend of everything else.

5. His first album is an amazing album all around. Those songs are great even after hearing them forever.

6. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Doug Wimbish (who I think is THE man), had worked with Seal pretty extensively. Mainly in the days when Seal first came out like his self titled CD which has "Crazy" on it.

7. Didn't know much Seal when he was having his hits, but I was very impressed with the Seal cuts that are on the "Best of MTV's unplugged" trilogy. Great sound, songs, vocals, everything. Basswork is very nice as well (acoustic and fretless, but I can't tell if it's an upright or not). I'll have to check out some of his albums. The Best of double album looks good.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    You are correct... Great players on all the discs

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was in an airport that had a bose stero display and one of the songs that they were using was "Kissed By a Rose" Unplugged and i was very impressed with just how beautiful the music was. :bassist:

10. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Absolutely, Seal does write really cool stuff and picks excellent musicians! I love the melodic bass break on "Prayer For The Dying" a ton!!

11. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Pretty sure Tony Levin has played with him quite a bit. Yeah, good songwriters/performers tend to attract killer players.

12. mattsk42

I totally agree with Prayer For the Dying bass line. It's fantastic.

13. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Tony actually toured with Seal when "Human Beings" came out. He also had David Sancious on keys and Brian Blade on drums on that tour band.

14. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Prayer for the Dying played by Pino Palladino?

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    You have to give credit to producer Trevor Horn too! The production on those albums is incredible!! IMHO :D :cool: :)

16. jazzbasta

jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    Total agreement.

17. mattsk42

I just noticed that "Waiting for You" and "Future Love Paradise" have fun moving lines, too. I love the tone on Don't Cry and Kiss From a Rose. :bassist:

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Future Love Paradise is one of my all time favorite tunes. It can bring me 'round to a good place whenever the bridge hits :bassist:

19. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, he has a knack for making ordinary instruments (including basses) sound otherworldly.

20. Trevor Horn is talented but alot of the "out there" bass stuff on Seal's first album is Doug Wimbish's doing.. His playing is characterist of him you cant miss it..