1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sealed 15" cab for a Trace Elliot V-Type head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steeq, Feb 19, 2018.

1. hi all, I recently bought a TE V-Type V4 in very good shape coming with a 1248 4x12 cab that perfectly fits in; anyway the cab is really huge and heavy, so I'm looking for a smaller cab to transport that can handle the 220w@4ohm (an 8ohm still good anyway) from the V4, being more transportable and still retaining the vintage vibe of the tubes.
    I find nothing really convincing, it seems that there aren't so much sealed 1x15" except Ampeg SVT115E (my first choice) or perhaps Carvin 115MBE, Orange OBC-115, Fender Bassman 115 (not NEO) and Eden D115 that if I'm correct are instead all ported and not suitable for an all-valve...
    so, before thinking about a custom (and probably more expensive) build project, any advice for a:
    - 15" speaker
    - sealed, no tweeter, no ported (no hifi needed)
    - about 300/350w@4ohm (8ohm ok too)
    - 45 pounds/ 20 kg max
    thank you!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    My '69 Sunn 2000s cab has a "port" and it sounds great with the all-valve 2000s head.

The RS115 | RevSound may work for you. On it's side it's 23" wide.

Call the builder direct.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    steeq likes this.
  3. thank you, it looks very promising, but I'm located in Italy so it would be a bit too expensive for my needs...

4. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Bergantino NV115

steeq likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    What's your max budget?

6. I was thinking about 400/500€

7. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    The svt-115e is front ported but I use one with an alltube head and it sounds good to my ears. I wouldn't cross the ampeg, Orange, Fender, or eden off your list just bc they're ported before giving them a try first. The obc115 and bassman 1x15 neo I've seen and heard under tube heads and both sound (and look) good.

That said, if you must have sealed and it's got to be fullrange, consider the eminence beta-15a. It's much discussed as a sealed cab driver. Recommend doing a search to find info on recommended volume and construction ideas.

steeq likes this.
  8. thank you, very useful! but isn't beta-15A 8 ohm? I'd look into a 4 ohm instead...

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive Suspended

Check the offerings from Barefaced. Alex may be able to advise you what might be best.

OP may I complement you on your excelent use of English. :D

Stumbo likes this.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Markbass 151p
    MARKBASS | Products | Traveler 151P

Check prices, I converted USD to € and came with under 500€.

It's ported but has the power handling (400rms), weight(39 lbs), and small size. Plus, you can probably hear one at a location near you.:thumbsup:

Lots of good reviews on TB.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    steeq likes this.
  11. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    If you're chasing a sealed cab, as a matter of choice - that's great.

But if you're only going that way, because you thought you had to :

There have been thousands of great records made, and concerts played, using valve bass amps through ported, and open back cabinets.

steeq likes this.
  12. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Yes the beta is 8 ohm. My apologies, I misread your op thinking it said 8 ohm is okay. 4 ohm only drivers will limit your options by quite a bit and already there are so few drivers designed with sealed bass cab use in mind.

13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Most of the cabs you mentioned are ported, but I would not let that be a disqualifying factor. I have a V8 and V6 and both sound great with ported cabinets. The V-Types have relatively tight and controlled lows so sealed cabinets are not required. Keep in mind one of the original V-Type cabinets was the 1528. This is a ported dual 15 designed to work with the sealed 1248 you have.

I suggest you try the V4 with several 4 and 8 ohm cabs until you find the sound you like. Cabs with higher efficiency ratings would be my first choice if you plan to gig with a drummer.

There are not many small sealed cabinets on the market. The only one I can think of is the Ampeg SVT-210AV. It's rated for 200 watts at 8 ohms. If you are going to push the V4 to it's limits I would recommend running a pair. Lot's of people enjoy stacking a pair to form a vertical 410 array.

steeq likes this.
  14. A 4-ohm Eminence CA154 15" in a sealed 1.5 cu.ft. cabinet would meet the OP requirements. It would be a relatively inexpensive custom build.

steeq likes this.
  15. thank you all, I'll take a look to those options, meanwhile I'm contacting a local custom builder (magnitudelabs.it) for some alternatives

b-b-b-bass likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020