Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sealed 2x12 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hillbillyfunk, Nov 4, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a quality, efficient 2x12 that sounds great with a lower-powered tube amp (100 watts) as well as with a high-powered solid state (with the sound quality emphasis on the tube amp...but just able to handle a high-power solid state amp). :ninja: Would a sealed 2x12 be best (like the berg NV series..but smaller?).

Thanks in advance.

2. An open-back 2x12 almost certainly wouldn't handle 100 watts of bass frequencies. On this forum, bgavin can give you a much more accurate and detailed explanation...

3. I wasn't reffering to an open back cab..just sealed vs. ported.

4. sorry, misunderstood you.

I think the general rule is that ported would be more efficient at lower frequencies. At only 100 watts, you need all the efficiency you can get.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think Ear Candy has one. Do a google search. Great price too.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Schroeder 1212 is somewhat sealed, but also has an angled driver, is very efficient, and can also handle a buttload of power. I'd go that route, if I were you.

7. "Sealed" and "Efficient" don't belong in the same sentence.
    Efficient bass drivers are vented designs in large cabinets.

With only 100 watts, no direct radiator cabinet will hold its own in a live band mix. Not enough juice. If you are definitely restricted to 100w for a reason (prized tube amp), consider using a bass horn instead of direct radiators.

I briefly owned a Fender B100 head, and that 100w was only useful as a practice amp. I sold it, and bought a Peavey Minx instead. At 25w, it is indeed a practice amp, and I expect nothing more than this.