Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sealed 410 cab vs. ported

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stewbone, Feb 23, 2003.

1. I'm fishin' for a fairly simplistic explanation of the differences in sound and performance between these two species of bass cab: Let's say one of each is loaded with Eminence Beta 10's.
    I seek enlightenment.

Rog.

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    The sealed cab has less lows but will be tighter sounding (less group delay). And usually vented cabs need to be bigger to be tuned right.

3. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Very few manufacturers offer sealed cabinets these days. Ported has many advantages!

4. but sealed boxes tend to sound better IMO, due to the lower group delay

5. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    I used an Ampeg 8 x 10 cabinet for about ten years doing never less than 225 gigs per year.

I truly think I get better tone and more SPL (loudness) from my Eden 410xlt, which is half the size!

6. yes, the eden probably is a lot more efficient in the lower frequency ranges, but in low volume applications (Home stereo) where boosting the lows with an eq is easier (esp for the speakers) sealed boxes simply sound better (IMO of course)

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I just purchased a sealed cab precisely because it gets that focused sealed-box tone which is different from my ported cabs. The ported cabs have better lows, the sealed box is tighter... both are very cool IMO, just different.

There are a couple of rooms we play which are very boomy in the lows, and for those I'll definitely use the sealed cab.

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I'd bet the drivers in the 810 were in serious need of reconing.

My Weber reconed '76 8x10 is about as loud as my TWO eden 410XLT's.

9. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    Hi Bass people!

No doubt in my mind that a sealed cabinet can/will/does sound great in certain conditions.

I will say that a sealed cabinet can't/won't throw (or project) nearly as well as the current ported/vented cabinet designs offered these days.

That's my .03 cents. Go ahead, flame away!

Nick

10. Fun to get such lively feedback, thanks everyone! I'm using the sealed box primarily for the focus,as I find sometimes the "Boom" can obscure the sound of my bass. I use an EAW V-125B 1x15 cab w/ a JBL 2226H (600 watts) to generally handle the lows. The combination gives me a nice, dark-ish grumbly punch. It really howls at high volume! Need some juice to really get the voice out of the sealed cab, it seems. Not to say that's preferable to dynamics...!

Rog.:bassist:

11. Fuzzbass

Nah, no flame for a politely stated observation/opinion. :) You bring up a good point. However, as Stewbone mentioned, *sometimes* that additional low-end throw is undesirable. I rarely if ever got complaints about my SVT cabs from sound techs assuming that I kept the *overall* volume in check. Complaints were more frequent when I used ported boxes, especially those with larger diameter speakers... sometimes I'd think I was at a very conservative volume and would still be instructed to turn down.

12. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    I'm happy that I get to do about 20 outdoor BIG "festival" gigs each summer. About 5,000 to 20,000 in the audience. I've never had a sound man complain about my rig and tone. It's been the exact opposite, the sound men love the sound, and are happy that they don't need to add much of my bass to their mix. And no one would say that I'm a super LOUD player!

When I used my Ampeg 8x10, the sound men always needed/wanted a D.I. signal to get the bass they were looking for, for FOH.

Nick

13. Fuzzbass

That's cool. However it's very common for a soundman to want total control of the mix: stage rigs (all instruments) are mic'd/DI'd and used as stage monitors only. In these situations, cabs that throw lots of lows can be a disadvantage.

My #1 band is just a 3-piece and I don't go through the PA at all, so I usually use ported cab(s) to fill out our sound. However as I mentioned above, the tightness of a sealed cab works better for me in boomy rooms.

14. I'll second Vanilla Coke whore's (sorry!) remark about amps becoming personal stage monitors in the context of a large room w/ PA, et al. If you think of it that way, it sort of puts you in a subordinate position in the order of things (your beautiful rig relegated to the low estate of 'personal monitor'!)
    - but that's kind of cool 'cause now all you have to worry about is getting your amp dialed in and being able to hear yourself. Unless of course the soundman is a screw-up... :meh:

Rog.