1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sealed and ported cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brattbugg, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Is it a bad idea to mix the 2? I have a 4x10 Lds ported cab and would like to add another 4x10. Lds is out if the question right now ,so that being said, if I were to pickup a another 4x10 that is sealed , do you think it would sound bad? Or should I just stay ported? Just trying to figure out my options.

2. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I have also considered selling off the Lds and buying a matching set of 4x10s. Does this make more sense? I'm using a Mesa M Pulse 600 for power.

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If you want a full stack, a matched set is the way to go. If you only use one cab at a time, nothing wrong with having a couple of different horses in the herd.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 matched cabs ALWAYS pair well together.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    save alot of time and get a used 8x10

6. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Yeah but then I'm stuck with a big cab all the time. I've considered a 6x10.

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    All this talk of arrays :bag:

410's, 610's and 810's are all based on fairly obsolete designs. If you have a particular cab in mind - i.e. doubling up on a cab you are currently happy with, go for it. If you are looking at the used market - the abundance of these models may make them a great choice.

If you're going new you have a bunch of options, some PA, some Bass specific - like fEARful, BFM, Barefaced and others - that are a lot more bang per buck than an 810 new (according to the data I've seen).
    With very specific objectives (like a traditional SVT + sealed 810 rig) all that goes out the window though.

I guess it all comes down to budget and priorities...

8. I used to think pairing up different cabs was no big deal but I've definitely grown an ear to hear differences in EQ enough to not do it with the same amp. I'm sure there is one amp that will work great with two different cabs with the same EQ somewhere on earth, but most likely it's not the one you have. I have a sealed and a ported cab and, to me, they sound entirely different to where the EQ on the amp has to change pretty drastically to not want to play out of both together. My solution was just to buy a second amp and now I play a stereo set up, haha. But my band needs enough volume and thickness that I can get away with it.

In short, if you're looking for a different cab once in a while it's good to have the option of sealed and ported. But if you're planning on playing them together, you might not be so satisfied trying to get them to pair up nicely through a single power source/EQ.

Either way, good luck.

9. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Yep, I want to play one most of the time then add the second when needed. Probobly gonna sell off what I got, Lds 4x10 & Lds 1x15, and buy 2 4x10s that match.

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Should work great. 20 years ago it would have been a no brainer AFAIK. Keep your options open, great 410's are as expensive as other - less problematic designs... I'm no expert though :bag:

You can probably get something lighter and as loud - with more even response (If that's what you want). LDS do some unique cabs that might be worth looking into.
    Some people seem to really like the newer PA style 2 and 3 way cabs... fEARful builds tend to give me GAS!

I'm waiting on a Barefaced 115 (Compact model)... they do some very loud, light and Hi-Fi stuff too...

11. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I'm not too concerned about weight, although I do have my limits. The LDS stuff is great, I have 2 of them. He used to be local (Detroit), but he picked up and moved to Seattle I'm told. Now with shipping, it's probobly not such a great deal. The thought of trying to sell stuff stinks, I'd have to though to fund new cabs. Should have bought the second one when I had the chance.