Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sealed cabinet search >> new amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Feb 1, 2006.

1. If you have been keeping up with the Peavey Classic 400 thread, you will know that I had some power tube problems & just got it back to learn that it is kicking my Avatars right in the nutz. I have narrowed this down to my cabinets being ported (and probably not powerful enough to handle 400 tube watts). So, I have been cabinet shopping. And while I have been looking at some nice cabs, I have run across a few other options. I would like some feedback/opinions/options on these, please.

I could keep my Classic 400 & just get a different cabinet. Or, get a whole different rig. I recently played a SVT-CL & 8x10 rig lately.... man, it had "THE" tone I like. However, I do want to only have a cabinet I can use at shows. I would like to be able to move all of my equipment by myself -- which makes the 8x10 grow cold to me. I also started thinking about the Ampeg V4BH head with a 4x10 cab. But, if I am not mistaken - I think the SVT-410HLF is ported, so - would this be a good combo together? Or, should I keep shopping to get a 4x10 sealed cab? The Ampeg BSE410HS looks like it is a nice sealed cab, and the slant option might help in gigs where I have to stand right up on my cab.

I know I might be covering a lot of ground in this post -- but, if you have any advice or comments, I would appreciate them. I have been getting very frustrated lately, I would like to pick out a rig that sounds like me & I can move by myself. Nice looks will be a plus, but not a must (I like the SVT look).

My rig options...
    Classic 400 > Berg NV610
    Classic 400 > SVT cab
    SVT head > SVT cab
    SVT head > berg NV610

** The V4BH - does it sound just like the SVT-CL? Just a smaller, less powerful version? Or, are they different amps, tone-wise?

Also - I live in a rural area & can't just go over to a nice, big music store. So, I rely on this forum & the internet to get my research up to date & then I can seek out a music store to test drive.....

2. I have a Bergantino NV610. I'll be getting a Peavey Classic 400 shortly. It'll probably be about 2 weeks or maybe a little less until I receive it. I'll try and let you know how it sounds.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

if you are set on a sealed box, that is the best way to go IMHO!

4. Aren't the newish SVT 8x10s ported? Get a Bergie......

5. fttfbass -- that is great, i can't wait to hear how it turns out.

After missing an incredible detail about the Ampeg V4BH, it is powered by 6L6 tubes -- not 6550... so, that should answer my question about it being a SVT jr. I would imagine that these amps have quite a different tone to them.

It isn't that I am set on a sealed box - but, from reading through miles of posts on here about tube amps.... it seems only natural to get a sealed cab. I wish that everybody would list their cabs with sealed, or ported right after the model number. and the search continues.....:help:

6. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I'm also looking for a nice sealed box to use with my SVT-CL. Unfortunately the SVT-810E doesn't fit in my car and is way overkill for the venues I play. The next option is the Bergantino NV610, but too bad I live in Europe, so it's nearly impossible to get one of these over here... :(

Right now I'm checking out the ampeg SVT-412, but I really need to know: Is this cab is sealed or ported!? If it's sealed it should be good match with the SVT-CL...

Sorry for hijacking this thread, if I was you I should keep the Classic 400 and check out the NV610...
    The ampeg V4BH has similar sound to the SVT-CL, but when cranking it, it looses headroom and punch very fast, compared to the SVT-CL. It sound great through the sealed SVT410HE though, but you can barely keep up with a loud drummer...

7. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Definitely get the Berg NV610, it'll sound great with any tube head. I've had one for about a week and it's my fave cab ever hands down. I haven't touched the El Whappo since.

8. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Ampeg 6x10? Are they ported?

9. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    yes, ampeg svt610hlf is ported. Three ports on the bottom.

10. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Yes the ampeg svt610 is ported.....But only on the bottom 2 speakers.the top 4 are sealed in pairs of 2 just like the stv 810.check out ampeg web sit www.ampeg.com there when you veiw each product they have button that say's view front/back panel and it will show you the internal making's of the cab.So have a look and see what you think.Good luck!!!!

11. Yeah I'll definately let you know. Like I said it'll be about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks until I receive it, since I'll be on vacation next week.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT