1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sealed Cabinet Tip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turnaround, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It must be that I'm giddy because it's Spring, but I am about to pass on a bit of information that I have never shared with anyone.

If you own a sealed cabinet (one without ports), the air inside the cabinet can get stale - obviously since the cabinet is sealed, no air exchange can happen. And with all that vibration in the speaker cabinet - well you can imagine what the air is like in there. And since many of us are looking for that "open transparent" sound, you might want to try "freshening" the air.

It's a pretty easy thing to remove the grill cover and one speaker. Then you could just let the air exchange on its own, or use a fan to replace the air inside. Then replace the speaker and grill and try it out. You may be surprised at the result.

Happy Spring to all!

AF

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    :cool:

Right after I boil my strings. . . under tension, of course. . . I will try this.

3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Why bother doing that when you can just drill 'ports' into your favourite sealed cabinet? ported cabs are sooo much cooler!!!11 all you need is an electric drill and a big drill bit. Put them anywhere, the more ports the better!!!1111

:|

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Is it still April 1st?

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I'm onboard, right after I change the air in my tires.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Actually, the thing to do is operate the speaker in a total vacuum, then Vas is equal to zero, and the speaker will have exactly the same response at all frequencies.

7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Toasted, turnaround seemed to think it was so I just went with it.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    What the man said. You can still use the cab as a sealed cab just by sticking crusty old gym socks into the ports. That'll chase the bad air out!

9. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You can fill your speaker with vacuum by putting in several 6L6 tubes and shaking vigorously.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Besides, sealed cabs have an expiration date on them. You shouldn't let that air out because it'll make everybody around get poisoning.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    PS: The expiry date is on the magnet of the woofer. If you want to check it.

12. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Mabe you can fill the cabs with nitrogen like tires! ;)

13. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yes, but you have to get the nitrogen from tires that have tubes, for best sound. Tubeless tires just don't have the same sound.

14. I like to use 6550s in mine!

15. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    be careful. i filled an older sealed cab with a hydrogen oxygen mix- 2:1 - to get a more open airy sound.

halfway thourgh a set the whole backline blew up, taking our drummer with it. I lost my favorite gig bag too.

:crying:

16. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My condolences about your gig bag.

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You with Spinal Tap?

18. I knew they shouldn't have turned up to 11!

19. YOU MEAN THIS WAS A JOKE??!!!
    :mad:
    I just took all the speakers out of my cabs and put fans on them. Dammit.
    And to think that the ports on them weren't enough to change the air out on their own.:confused:
    C7

20. wellgo

wellgo

Feb 27, 2006
    Does older air in a sealed cabinet make the sound more vintage? If so I would be willing to buy some old air from any cabinets that have been left sitting in attics and stuff.